Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Rustic Deep Dish Apple Pie / Thanksgiving 2012

This is a simple, easy to put together apple pie with great flavor.
I grew up in Michigan and the Fall Season was all about apples. We used to take a trip to the town of Frankenmuth and have apple cider in the fall. They also had the best apple cider donuts that i've ever tasted. It was a family outing every fall. I think that Fall was my favorite season as a child. I loved it when the weather began to change and the food that we had as kids in the fall, was the best. We had an apple orchard at the end of our street, it was only 1 house away from ours. As kids, we would always raid the apple  orchard in the fall. My grandmother, my aunt and my mother would make apple pie during the entire fall season. Apple Pie was always on the Thanksgiving table along with the traditional Pumpkin Pie.
Here's one of my favorite apple pie recipes along with the very easy( Apple Pie.... without a crust), it's on the blog. These two are the ones I make most often. Maybe the only Apple Pies that I make. My wife make the most amazing pie crust, and I don't. I really don't have any need to, because she was raised on a Mennonite Farm in Kansas and believe me, the Mennonites make the best pies , ever!

Deep Dish Apple Pie:

1- 9" unbaked deep dish pie crust  ( I cheat and move the crust into one of our beautiful ceramic deep dish pie pans) Easy to transfer when frozen, then allow to thaw. It makes a better presentation if you're having guests for dinner. Otherwise..... well, I do it for us too, we're worth it!

5 C Granny Smith Apples (about 5-6 apples), peeled, cored and thinly sliced
1/4 C white sugar
1/2 C brown sugar
3/4 tsp cinnamon


Topping:
1/3 C white sugar
3/4 C flour
6TBS cold butter, cubed

Pile the apples slices in the crust

In a medium bowl, combine:
white sugar
brown sugar
cinnamon
Sprinkle evenly over the apples

To make the topping:
In a medium bowl, whisk together:
sugar
flour
Cut in the cold butter with a pastry blender and create a crumble.
Cover the pie evenly with the topping

Bake at 400 degrees for 40 minutes.

Enjoy!
Peace in the Kitchen!




No comments:

Post a Comment