Monday, September 2, 2013

Pumpkin Biscuits / Thanksgiving 2013



I like pumpkin, I have many recipes utilizing pumpkin.
I have a great recipe for Pumpkin Soup that I've been making since 1976.
I re posted the recipe at the end of this biscuit recipe.
I would serve these biscuits with the soup.

I'll  make these biscuits for this year's Thanksgiving dinner.

Pumpkin Biscuits:

1 1/4 C flour
2 TBS + 1tsp sugar
1 TBS + 1tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp cinnamon
3/4 C canned pumpkin puree
1/4 C butter, melted

Serve  warm with Honey Butter, recipe to follow.

Large Bowl, sift together:
flour
sugar
baking powder
salt
nutmeg
cinnamon

Add:
pumpkin
nutter
Mix Well

Place dough on a floured surface
Knead until smooth
Roll out to 1/2" thick
Cut biscuits with a 2" round biscuit cutter

Place on a sheet pan
Bake at 400 degrees 10 to 12 minutes


Honey Butter:
1 C butter, softened
1/4 C honey
Whisk together until smooth

Enjoy!
Peace in the Kitchen!



Here's my recipe for Pumpkin Soup:


1976, from my Best of the Best Recipes

I've made this Soup many times. I prepare it for Thanksgiving

It's a Cream of Pumpkin Soup (made, baked and served in the Pumpkin) The juice of the Pumpkin, as it bakes, adds a great flavor to the soup.

1- ( 7 - 8 lb.) Pumpkin ( Cut a circle around the top and keep the stem on)
4 Cups of Croutons
1 1/4 C Grated Swiss or Emmenthal Cheese
4 C Half and Half
Salt
Fresh Ground Pepper
Ground Nutmeg, a good pinch

As mentioned above, cut off the top of the Pumpkin and reserve for an attractive cover when serving this Soup.

Scrape out the pumpkin using a large heavy spoon, remove the seeds, maintaining all of the meat of the pumpkin

Fill the shell of the Pumpkin 3/4 full with alternating layers of Croutons and Cheese

Season the Half and Half with Salt, Pepper and Nutmeg
Pour the mixture into the Pumpkin
Replace the top of the Pumpkin
Place it in a Roasting Pan
Bake in a pre-heated 350 degree Oven for 2 hours.
Stir occasionally

Carefully remove it from the oven to a serving platter, serve it from the Pumpkin, at the table

Ladle into Soup Plates

Enjoy!
Peace in the Kitchen!


No comments:

Post a Comment