Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Fall Fruit Crumble





New Update, 9/20/2013 I bought Peaches today to make this with only white sugar and the addition of baking powder. I'll update when it's done. I'm convinced I'm going to create the perfect crumble..... it may already be perfected! More to come.........

I just made a new one with firm Peaches and a new topping, 9 /26 / 2013. I Sliced the Peaches, cooked them in the same amount of sugar and cinnamon as I did  the Apples. I only used white sugar and I added 1 tsp of baking powder. The end result is totally different. The crumble is not "crumbly" when its prepared. It has the texture of dough. I simply crumbled it  as I dropped it in the Spring Form Pan. I still placed it on the bottom and then on top of the fruit. I baked it at 350 degrees for 55 minutes. I'm keeping the original recipe because I prefer a crunchy crumble and I'll keep this addition because my wife likes a cake like crumble. So both turned out great.
The next time I'll use firm Pears.


9/19/2013
Here's the final recipe. It's been perfected and taste tested........! This is a Best of the Best Recipe!
It may seem common, but all of the recipes I've seen, only have a topping they don't include a bottom.
When I lived in Germany, the family I lived with made something similar to a fruit crumble with a bottom and a top crumble. I've been getting nostalgic about my time spent in Europe when I was a college student and this is a fond memory. I only had to come up with the correct quantities of the ingredients to be pleased with the result.

Here's how this came about:
I wasn't planning on posting this because I didn't really have a recipe. I needed something for a dessert at the last minute and put this together.
It actually turned out really nice. I'll make it again with other fruit or pie filling.
In place of Apples you can use fresh firm Pears or fresh firm Peaches and prepare them like the Apples.
You could even use 1 can of your favorite fruit pie filling. You could even spread a jar of your favorite jam in the center.


2 pounds of Granny Smith Apples ( I used 4), peel, core and slice thin. I prefer Jonagold but the store I went to today did not have them,

3 TBS granulated sugar
1/8 tsp  cinnamon

Cook the apples in a saucepan just until tender.

Make a basic crumble:

2 C flour
1/2 C brown sugar
1/2 C granulated sugar
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1 egg
1 stick of butter,  softened.

Place all of the crumble ingredients in the bowl of a Stand Mixer with a dough hook.
Mix until it forms a crumble.

Sprinkle 1/2 of the crumble in a 9" spring form pan, (I buttered the pan on the bottom and sides).

Top it with the fruit
Sprinkle the remaining crumble on top of the fruit.

Option:
Top the cake with 10 walnuts halves and sprinkle with 2 TBS of raw sugar. ( bake as directed)

Bake at 350 degrees for 50 minutes.
Cool on a wire rack in the pan.
Transfer to a platter to serve.

I left it on the bottom of the pan when I transferred it to the plate.
My Spring Form Pan has a tempered glass bottom so I could easily have slid it onto the platter.

Note: I baked the pan on a cookie sheet to collect some of the juice that came out.
The next time I make it I will double wrap the Spring Form pan with heavy duty foil. I use this method for my Cheese Cake Recipe.

Enjoy!
Peace in the Kitchen





This one has 1/2 brown sugar and 1/2 granulated sugar in the flour mixture, no baking powder.
 This crumble is crunchy. I like this one.

This is Peach, with the cake texture crumble.
It has all white sugar and baking powder. 

Same as above, out of the spring form pan.



No comments:

Post a Comment