Monday, September 9, 2013

Apple Cider Gravy / Thanksgiving Gravy / Thanksgiving 2013

As a vegetarian I 'm always looking for alternative ideas for gravy at Thanksgiving. I can reproduce a Turkey Gravy using vegetarian chicken stock, I can reproduce a dark gravy using a vegetarian beef stock and I have a recipe for mushroom gravy. Here's just another great gravy for the holiday season.

3 C apple cider reduced to 1 C by boiling it for about 30 minutes. It creates a rich, flavorful juice.
6 TBS butter
1/2 C sliced shallots
2 TBS chopped fresh thyme ( I have it available in my garden)
6 TBS flour
4 1/2 C vegetarian stock, your choice ( I use a vegetarian chicken stock)
1/4 C Calvados ( Apple Brandy)


In a sauce pan on medium heat:
Butter
Shallots
Thyme
Saute about 8 - 10 minutes

Gradually add flour
Stirring constantly, about 5 minutes, until browned ( create a Roux)
Add stock gradually
Bring to a boil
Whisking constantly
Add Cider, continuing to whisk, it should begin to thicken in 10 minutes
Whisk in Calvados and return to a boil
Season to taste with salt and pepper

Enjoy!
Peace in the Kitchen!





No comments:

Post a Comment