Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Dessert Desserts !

I've talked about my large collection of Mennonite and Amish recipe books. I buy them at the MCC Sale in Kansas. The Mennonite Central Committee Sale raises money for Mennonite Relief. The Mennonites are quick to react to disaster in the world and they arrive at a disaster to lend many helping hands and ask nothing in return. They have many venues at the sale to raise money. My favorite is the booth that sells family and church cookbooks. I buy as many cookbooks as I can each year. When I use them I'm constantly reminded of how important these recipes have been to the many families that were connected to them.
Tonight I was reading several of them and I discovered that I love the recipes that are called  "dessert" recipes. That's why I titled this story, Dessert Desserts.

Here's an example of what I'm referring to:


Apple Dessert
Blueberry Dessert
Butter Brickle Desert
Coffee Banana Dessert
Elegant Cherry Dessert
Heavenly Raspberry Dessert
Lemon Dessert
Marshmallow Dessert
Oreo Cookie Dessert
Pineapple Dessert
Pumpkin Dessert
Refrigerator Dessert
Rhubarb Dessert
Ritz Cracker Dessert
Strawberry Swirl Dessert
Buster Bar Dessert
Chocolate Freezer Dessert
Frozen Strawberry Dessert
Rice Chex Ice Cream Dessert

Do you see what I mean?
I could go on and on and on and on.......


I've chosen one to post.

Heavenly Raspberry Dessert:

2 C flaked coconut
2 TBS sugar
1 TBS flour
3TBS butter, room temperature
1 (10oz.) package frozen raspberries , thawed
1 TBS cornstarch
1/3 C water
1 (8oz.) package cream cheese, room temperature
1/2 C confectioner's sugar
3 TBS milk
1 (8oz.) carton whipped topping
1/3 C chopped pecans

In a small bowl, combine well:
coconut
sugar
flour
butter
Press into a 9" pie pan
Bake at 350 degrees for 12 minutes
Cool completely

Cook raspberries, thicken with cornstarch and water.
Remove from heat, cool completely
Spread Raspberries over crust

In a bowl, combine well, with a hand mixer:
cream cheese
confectioner's sugar
milk
Spread over Raspberry layer

Top with Whipped Topping
Sprinkle with Pecans

Enjoy!
Peace in the Kitchen!


Here's one more.

Cherry Dessert:

 1 - 21 oz. can of Cherry Pie Filling
1 - 14 oz. can of Sweetened Condensed Milk
1 - 20 oz. can of Crushed Pineapple, drained
1 - 8 oz. container of Frozen Cool Whip, thawed.
1 C Miniature Marshmallows

Mix all ingredients together in a large bowl.
Cover and refrigerate overnight.
Stir well before serving.

Enjoy!
Peace in the Kitchen!






No comments:

Post a Comment