Monday, September 9, 2013

Homemade Pumpkin Pie from Scratch

I love Pumpkin Pie..... any kind of Pumpkin Pie. There are so many variations. I've always wanted to make one from a fresh pumpkin. Since making this for the first time, it's the only Pumpkin Pie I will serve at Thanksgiving. It's the Best I've ever tasted. There's something vintage about a Pumpkin Pie made with Fresh Pumpkin. It takes me back to life on the Prairie and the stories about Little House on the Prairie with Laura Ingalls Wilder.

Homemade Pumpkin Pie from Scratch:

2 C fresh cooked pumpkin: ( 1-2 small pie pumpkins. Remove the stems, quarter them, remove the seeds and string. Steam the quarters in a steamer over boiling water until tender, ( I did them in a tall Pasta Pot and it took about 45 minutes) Allow the pieces to cool. The skin will be easy to peel off. Mash the pumpkin with a stick blender or in a food processor.)
I make the puree by the end of October and freeze it until I make the Pies for Thanksgiving.

Pie pumpkins are small and dense and usually have a medium or dark orange color. They usually appear in markets and grocery stores in September, and continue to be sold through November. The most common variety is the deliciously flavorful sugar pie, but other eating pumpkins may include winter luxury, deep red, and golden cushaw.

You can purchase a Deep Dish Pie Crust or make it from scratch. Anne makes the best Pie Crust so ours is always homemade. Our Pumpkin Pie Plate measures 8 1/2" across the interior bottom and 10" across the top.

Filling:

3 eggs
1 (12oz.) can of Evaporated Milk
1/2 C Egg Nog
3/4 C sugar
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp Ground Cloves
1/2 tsp Ground Ginger
1/2 tsp Nutmeg
1 tsp Cinnamon
1-9" Unbaked Deep Dish Pie Crust

Place the Crust in a Deep Dish Pie Plate.

In a Bowl, combine:
2 C Fresh Pumpkin
Sugar
Salt
Clove
Ginger
Nutmeg
Cinnamon
Mix well

In a bowl, whisk:
Eggs
Evaporated Milk
Milk
Whisk well

Add wet mixture to dry mixture
Mix well

Pour filling into the pie shell ( if you have more than you need, save it for mini pie tarts)
Place pie pan on a cookie sheet
Bake at 400 degrees for 50 minutes or until a knife comes out clean when tested in the center of the pie.
Use a Pie Crust Shield if needed halfway through to avoid burning the Crust.

Cool  completely on a wire rack
Refrigerate and chill completely before serving

Serve with Whipped Cream

Enjoy!
Peace in the Kitchen!

I prepared the pumpkin today and put it in the freezer until
I make the pie for Thanksgiving Dinner.
I'll post additional pictures when I make the pie.








This is the best Pumpkin Pie I have ever tasted.
We will make this every year for Thanksgiving.
This was Thanksgiving 2013.

I had enough filling to make another Pumpkin Pie.
My wife made it, along with a Blueberry Pie.





Thanksgiving 2014
Ready for the oven!
Enjoy!
Peace in the Kitchen!

No comments:

Post a Comment