Thursday, September 5, 2013

Hatch Chile Madeleines


I love classic Madeleines. I make Cornbread Madeleines so I thought I'd add Hatch Chiles to Madeleines for a Texas version.
You could use canned, chopped Green Chiles instead of fresh Hatch Chiles. It's Hatch Chile Season here. There are festivals at every market. I recently took a cooking class featuring Hatch Chiles and I blogged about it.
Here's my latest obsession with Hatch Green Chiles.

3 - 5 Roasted Hatch Chiles, finely diced ( or use 1- 4oz. can of Diced Green Chiles), drain well. I also use canned Hatch Chiles.
1 small onion, finely diced
2 C grated Hatch Jack Cheese ( Pepper Jack can be used if you don't have access to Hatch Jack)
4 TBS butter, melted
2 C cornmeal
1/2 C flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
2 eggs, beaten
2 C buttermilk
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper

Pre heat oven to 400 degrees
2 Madeleine Pans ( One will do, but with two you can bake them all at the same time)

Whisk together, in a small bowl:
cornmeal
flour
baking powder
baking soda
salt
cayenne pepper

In a separate bowl. combine:
eggs
buttermilk
Combine dry ingredients with wet ingredients

Fold in:
Hatch Chiles
Onion
Cheese

Divide batter among the molds and bake at 400 degrees for 30 minutes or until lightly browned.
Remove from oven and tap the pan on a hard surface to release the madeleines.
Cool them completely on a wire rack.

Enjoy!
Peace in the Kitchen!


Recipe#2:


2 tsp Olive Oil
1/4 tsp diced onion
1 C Cornmeal
1 C Flour
1 TBS Baking Powder
1/2 tsp Salt
1 Large Egg
1 C Whole Milk
4 TBS Honey
5 TBS Butter, melted, room temperature
1/2 C chopped Hatch Chiles
1/2 C Grated Monterey Jack Cheese


Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
Prepare Madeleine Pans, brush them with my Pan Release Mix (equal parts of Crisco, Vegetable Oil and Flour) I start with 1 C of each and keep it refrigerated in a jar. I always have it available for all of my baking needs.
I have Madeleine Pans and Financiers Pans that I use for this recipe.

In a skillet on medium heat:
Heat the Olive Oil
Add Onion for 5 minutes.
Set aside to cool.

In a mixing bowl:
Cornmeal
Flour
Baking Powder
Salt
Whisk well.

In a small bowl:
Eggs
Milk
Butter
Honey
Whisk well.

Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and Whisk to combine.
Fold in the Onion, Hatch Chiles and the Cheese, by hand.
Fill the Madeleine molds with 1 TBS of batter.
Bake for 10 - 12 minutes.

Serve with your favorite Picante Sauce.

Enjoy!
Peace in the Kitchen!





No comments:

Post a Comment