Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Ratatouille! Dallas Morning News Taste Section 9/25/2013

I was so excited when I saw the Taste section this morning. The title was" Crisp and Crunchy". Of course I was thinking about Fall, Apples, Apple Crisp, Crunchy topped Cobblers? No, it wasn't even close. It wasn't even Sweet or Vegetarian. I can't go into the story here.
So I kept reading. And then I saw it.... "Fresh Apples are piled high at local stores". I was thinking.... well,..... you know what I was thinking. Anyway, it wasn't about Fall, Apples, etc,
I kept reading. I was a little disappointed by now.
There was a recipe for Skillet Jalapeno Cornbread, blah, blah, blah, I've posted my Best of the Best Recipe for that.
By now I'm worried that I won't have a recipe for today. Then I saw, Jacques Pepin's Ratatouille.
How perfect is that? It's made with Eggplant and Zucchini,  they're Fall vegetables and it's Vegetarian.
It all made sense to me at this point. I'll post the Ratatouille Recipe.

I made this for dinner on September 29th. It is a favorite. It makes enough to feed a family of 4 - 6.
It's the best Ratatouille we've ever tasted. It is definitely considered a Best of the Best Recipe !
I wish the pictures were in order, I didn't want to take the time to shuffle them around.


Jacques Pepin's Ratatouille:

1/4 C olive oil
3 onions, chopped
1 large gren bell pepper, chopped
1 large eggplant, trimmed at both ends. Cut into 1" pieces
4 small zucchini, trimmed at both ends and cut into 1" pieces
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
1 1/2 tsp salt
8 garlic cloves, sliced
4 ripe tomatoes, cut into 1" pieces
1 C shredded fresh basil
black pepper to taste

In a large saucepan:
heat oil
onion
green pepper
Saute 5 minutes on medium high heat

Add:
eggplant
zucchini
pepper flakes
salt
Reduce heat and cook covered for 25 minutes
Stir occasionally

Add:
garlic
tomatoes
cook for an additional 5 minutes

Remove from heat
Transfer to a serving bowl
Cool to room temperature

Just before serving:
Stir in 1/2 the basil
Sprinkle remaining basil on top
Garnish with a few TBS of olive oil and black pepper

Source:
The New York Times Country Weekend Cookbook, 2007, St. Martin's Press / Akron Beacon Journal

Enjoy!
Peace in the Kitchen!


This picture is deceiving. the bowl is 13" in diameter and 6" deep.
There's Ratatouille under the Rigatoni too.

This All Clad Saute Pan is 11" in diameter and 2 1/2 " deep.
This recipe made a lot.

Ratatouille !
I ended up topping it with Grated Parmesan Cheese.



No comments:

Post a Comment