Friday, September 6, 2013

Hatch Jack Cheese Soup

Hatch Jack Cheese Soup

This can be made with Monterey Jack or Pepper Jack Cheese if you don't have access to Hatch Jack Cheese.
As the weather cools down and Fall and Winter approach, I make Soup!
I make it every weekend.  I  create many original soup recipes. and I have hundreds of recipes available to me. When we go to the Mennonite Central Conference Sale in Kansas every year, I immediately go to the booth that sells Mennonite and Amish family recipe books. They have incredible Soup recipes.
Here's one of them. I have adapted it to make it my own. It can certainly be made with Cheddar Cheese. I liked the idea of a "white" creamy soup.

4 TBS butter
1/2 C finely chopped onion
1 clove of garlic, minced
4 TBS flour
2 C milk
1 C vegetarian broth
1 C heavy cream
1 C of shredded Hatch Jack Cheese
1/2 C canned diced green chiles

Melt butter in a soup pot on medium heat
Add onion and garlic
Saute until soft
Add flour and whisk until smooth

Combine milk and vegetable broth
Slowly add it to the flour mixture, stirring constantly until it begins to thicken
Reduce heat to low
Add cream
Gradually add cheese, stirring constantly
Do not allow it to boil
Fold in Chiles

Enjoy!
Peace in the Kitchen!

No comments:

Post a Comment