Friday, September 13, 2013

Edna Mae's Escalloped Cabbage / Ree Drummond, The Pioneer Woman

I happen to love Cabbage. One of my favorite recipes made with cabbage is a Cabbage Soup, it's on the blog. I make it during the Fall and Winter Seasons. It's a great comfort soup. I know that not everyone likes cabbage. I hope that if you do, you'll try my Soup and this interesting recipe from The Pioneer Woman. This recipe comes from her mother in law. I did a bit of research and discovered that Cheez Whiz was created in America in 1952.
It's one of those products that is shunned by many, but...... come on!, this has to be included in those All American Iconic Recipes. You know? those recipes that I always say the French would raise and eyebrow at, if they read it. I happen to embrace many All American Iconic Recipes and I say....... try it before you say you just couldn't eat that!

I took creative licensing and adapted it just a little. Ree Drummond makes it with Cream of Chicken Soup and I make it vegetarian with Cream of Celery, if you like mushrooms, you could use Cream of Mushroom Soup. I also added the NOTES with substitute ingredients.


NOTE: I recently made this again (April 11, 2020) and I didn't have Cheez Whiz so I used Velveeta Cheese.
Cut a 2 lb. piece of Velveeta in half and Cube it into 1" Cubes. I didn't have fresh JalapeƱos so I added 1 - 7 oz. Can of Diced Green Chiles undrained.
In a Saucepan on Medium High Heat:
Milk
Soup
Chiles
Heat almost to a boil.
Gradually add Cubes of Velveeta Cheese.
Continue heating and whisking until all of the Cheese has melted and the Sauce is Creamy Smooth.
Proceed with the rest of the directions.



Preheat Oven to 350 degrees.

Ingredients:

1 head of Cabbage
1 jar ( 15oz.) Original Cheez Whiz
1 can (10oz.) Cream of Celery Soup
1 whole ( or 2) fresh jalapenos, seeded and finely diced ( 1 is spicy; 2 is very spicy)
1/4 C milk
Paprika to taste



Directions:

Slice cabbage into 6 - 8 pie shaped slices. Remove hard inner core.
Par boil slices until nearly done but slightly firm. 
Drain very well, then arrange in a buttered 9"X13" Baking Dish.

NOTE: I'm now placing the wedges in a Microwave Safe Casserole dish. I removed the round plate that rotates in microwave and heated the Cabbage for 6 minutes. Par Boiling is difficult to maintain the wedges.



Mix Cheez Whiz, Cream of Celery Soup, Jalapenos and Milk.
Pour over the Cabbage.
Sprinkle with paprika , Bake 30 Minutes or until Golden and Bubbly.

Enjoy!
Peace in the Kitchen!

the ingredients
adding jalapeno





the finished dish
This is the Microwave Oven version of preheating the Cabbage.


Sorry that the photos are not in order. The Blog format has changed and it's difficult to control the placement of Photos and text.

Out of the Oven for Thanksgiving!


No comments:

Post a Comment