Sunday, September 8, 2013

Butter Cake, a vintage recipe!

Butter Cake is a vintage recipe that's been around for many generations. This is from the archives of my Aunt Faye's recipes. I needed to get back to posting more of her recipes. I'll work on that this week. This is made with a boxed cake mix. The first boxed cake mix was introduced in America in 1948. I know that my Aunt made this cake in the mid to late 50's when she was a personal chef in Michigan!
She made this for out family gatherings too.
I hope you have a chance to stroll down memory lane and try some of America's vintage recipes.I've posted many of them on the blog.
The 9"X13" baking pan was introduced in 1920. I blogged about it in a post titled, 1960's American Desserts made in the Classic 9"X13" Pan. You can research it on my blog.

Butter Cake:

1 - (18.25oz.) box of yellow cake mix
2 sticks of butter, divided. 1 for the cake and 1 for the topping.
4 eggs, divided
2 tsp vanilla, divided
1 - (8oz.) package of cream cheese, room temperature
4 C confectioner's sugar

Cake:
In a bowl, combine:
cake mix
1 stick of butter, melted
1 tsp vanilla
2 eggs
Mix well
Spread in a 9"X13" baking pan, greased with my Pan Release Mixture ( on the blog, under Tips, Hints and More)

In a bowl, with a hand mixer:
cream cheese
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
1 stick of butter, melted
gradually add confectioner's sugar
Mix well
Spread over the batter

Bake at 350 degrees for 40 - 50 minutes
Cool completely
Serve with Vanilla Ice Cream or Whipped Cream

Enjoy!
Peace in the Kitchen!

No comments:

Post a Comment