Friday, September 6, 2013

Chocolate Skillet Cake

I got this recipe from a friend. My friend mis placed it and called me for it. After I gave it to them, I couldn't find it. I thought I had posted it on the blog and was unable to find it. It was discovered today in my many archived recipes so, I am posting it here incase I need to share it again! It is a vintage recipe that's been around for generations. I've made it many times and will continue to!
If you've never tried it, it's quite simple and delicious.

Chocolate Skillet Cake:

1C flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 C sugar
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 C butter
1/4 C vegetable oil
2 TBS cocoa powder
1/2 C water
1/4 C buttermilk
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla

Frosting:

1/4 C butter
2 TBS cocoa powder
4 TBS milk
2 C confectioner's sugar
1C chopped pecans
1/2 tsp vanilla


In a Bowl, whisk:
flour
baking soda
sugar
salt
Set aside

Put a 10"-12" Cast Iron Skillet on medium heat
Melt butter in the skillet

Whisk in:
oil
cocoa powder
water
Bring to a simmer

Remove from heat
Add dry ingredients and combine well
Whisk in:
buttermilk
egg
vanilla
stir until smooth

Place skillet in a 350 degree oven
Bake 15-20 minutes, until set

As soon as the cake comes out of the oven, set it aside and make the frosting.

Frosting:
In a saucepan, heat to a simmer:
butter
cocoa
milk
Remove from heat and whisk in:
confectioner's sugar
pecans
vanilla

Pour the warm frosting over the warm cake and spread evenly with a spatula.

Enjoy!
Peace in the Kitchen!


No comments:

Post a Comment