Friday, February 22, 2013

Mennonite Funeral Pie, otherwise known as Raisin Pie

This recipe comes from the Melting Pot of Mennonite Cookery

The beginning of the recipe actually refers to this pie as, Funeral Pie.

I understand that. When we talk about making Iced Tea, we say that it has to taste like Church Tea.
I hope there are others who also understand that!

We often eat at a Mennonite/Amish Restaurant in Kansas when we visit our family. We actually order our Pie before anything else, just to make sure we get our favorite kind, before it's gone by the time we finish eating...... true story!
The waitress recommends it.

My personal favorite and my father in law's is Raisin.

Raisin Pie:
Soak 1C raisins for 2 hours, drain

Combine:
1 1/2 C Sugar
4 TBS Flour
Beat 1 Egg and add to the mixture
Add Juice and rind of 1 Lemon and 1/4 tsp Salt.
Add 2C Water and stir well.
Cook over Hot Water in a Double Boiler for 15 minutes
Cool
Put into unbaked Pie Shell.
Cover with strips of pastry in a criss-cross design.
Bake at 450 degrees for 10 minutes, then lower heat to 350 degrees.
Bake for another 30 minutes.

So I'll have to ask before I make this if the Raisins are cooked with the mixture.
I'l do some research on that and check back to update the recipe.

I found out that the Raisins should be cooked with the mixture in the double boiler.

Enjoy!
Peace in the Kitchen!

No comments:

Post a Comment