Friday, February 15, 2013

1964 Orange Pecan Bread

As a food blogger, you know that the stars are aligned when you read a recipe and realize that you have everything you need in the pantry.

 I also like the recipe because it was created in 1964. I believe there were Hippies in the Kitchen in 1964!


I love a simple recipe, love it when I have all of the ingredients and I love vintage recipes.
I also love to peruse vintage recipe books.

We attend the Mennonite MCC Sale in Kansas ( Mennonite Central Committee) and the first booth I visit is the one where they sell recipe and cook books. I have an impressive collection.

Many , or most of them, are from Mennonite and Amish homes.
The hand written ones are my favorites.

Someday I'll post some of the vintage recipes.

I wanted to share this one from Yesterfood.

I learned a lesson when I made this bread. Make sure that your Bisquick is fresh. I think my bread would have risen more if my Bisquick had been fresher. You know how long those boxes can sit in the pantry before you realize you need it!


1964 Orange Pecan Bread:

3 C Bisquick
3/4 C Sugar
1 Egg
1 1/4 C Orange Juice
1 TBS Orange Zest
3/4 Chopped Pecans

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees
Grease a 9x5 Loaf Pan

Mix all ingredients except Pecans
Beat vigorously 30 seconds
Stir in Pecans
Bake 45 - 50 minutes, or until toothpick
inserted in middle comes out clean
Cool completely before slicing

Enjoy!
Peace in the Kitchen!

I paid $20 for the one on the top, it has amazing recipes in it, the one on the bottom is made of wood and belonged to my wife's Grandmother.

No comments:

Post a Comment