Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Guacamole

I read the weekly column in our local newspaper titled Taste.

Sometimes I like to talk about the feature of the week and research it.
I did an article on Hot Chocolate and today the feature is Guacamole.

Here are some of the suggestions for Guacamole that inspired me to write about it.
I found some of these odd.

Cumin
Bacon
Corn
Shrimp
Mango
Olive Oil
Garlic Powder ( I know many recipes use this)
Black Pepper
Hot Sauce
Mayonnaise
Sour Cream

Guacamole should not be a mushy, pasty, creamed in the blender with sour cream or mayonnaise mixture.
It shouldn't be overpowered by garlic.
The taste of the Avocado should be the dominant flavor.

I realize this is only my opinion and tastes vary. I write many of my recipes for friends that don't live in Texas and friends around the World.

The Aztecs created the Avocado concoction.
The name comes from the Nahuati language.
Ahuacamolli, meaning Avocado Sauce.
Ahuacati, meaning Avocado and Mole, meaning Sauce.

The Avocado is often used in Salads, mashed onto Bread in Sandwiches and in Soups.
The best use of the Avocado is creating Guacamole.

Here is what I consider to be the Best of the Best recipe for Guacamole.

2 Avocados, diced
1/4 C minced White Onion
1 TBS minced Jalapeno
2 TBS finely chopped Fresh Cilantro
3/4 tsp Salt
1/2 C finely chopped Plum or Roma Tomato
2 tsp Fresh Lime Juice

In a bowl:
2 TBS Onion
Jalapeno
1 TBS Cilantro
Salt
Mash this mixture with the back of a spoon or in a Mortar with Pestle to create a paste.

Add the Avocado
Fold in Tomato and remaining Onion, Cilantro and Lime Juice

Serve with Tortilla Chips

Enjoy!
Peace in the Kitchen!

No comments:

Post a Comment