Thursday, June 27, 2013

Poppy Seed Rolls / from a Mennonite Recipe Book

I have a great story about Poppy Seed Rolls. I'm not sure I expect anyone to actually make these , but.... you never know. There may be some very excited bakers when they see this recipe. I would like to make them, maybe I will some day.
We attend the MCC Sale ( Mennonite Central Committee), sale every year in Kansas.

Each year in Canada and the United States, thousands of volunteers come together to raise money for MCC. In 2012  over $5 million was raised to help MCC respond to basic needs and work for peace and justice around the world. Relief Sale events and auctions offer participants a little bit of everything - quilts, artwork, crafted woodwork, homemade foods, antiques and crafts.

I've posted stories about is and blogged about some of my recipes that have been passed down through my wife's family.
I was intrigued this year when I saw the price tag on the Poppy Seed Rolls, $40.00 apiece. I thought that was a bit extravagant compared to a $3.50 loaf of Bread or a $6.00 Pie.

The table was set up with $15.00 (small bags) of Poppy Seeds and an instructional video running to show us how they are made. It wasn't convincing enough for me to buy a roll, but it made me want to research them and find a recipe to make them myself.
I was told that the price of the difficulty of the harvest and the price of the seeds were what made the rolls so expensive.
One of my favorite things to do at the sale is rummaging through the 6 ft. tables piled high with cookbooks. The books range from company based promotional books to Church sponsored books, to speciality books like Slow Cookers, etc. But, my favorite ones are the family recipe books that people have donated. Some of them are so tattered and torn and stained. My favorites are the hand written ones. They evoke the history of family recipes that have been handed down through generations.

I bought many during this past sale and I sat down to see if I could find a recipe for Poppy Seed Rolls....not a single book had a recipe. When I returned home I began my quest to find a recipe.
I had a book that had been handed down from my wife's family. One of the most fascinating things about the book is the cover and back that are made of wood. It has a hand painted picture on the front of cactus and a mountain in the background. The best part is that I found the recipe I've been searching for, Poppy Seed Rolls!


Poppy Seed Rolls: it was difficult to read the recipe, I think it makes 4 rolls

2 C milk
1 C cream
1/4 lb. butter
1/2 C sugar
9 C flour
1 cake yeast
1/2 tsp sugar
1/4 C lukewarm water
1 TBS salt
Filling recipe to follow

Scald milk and cream, add butter and 1/2 C sugar, cool to lukewarm.
Dissolve yeast in water with 1/2 tsp sugar. Add to first mixture.
Add remaining ingredients gradually and mix well.
Knead dough, let rise until double.
Use approximately 1/4 of the dough for each roll
Roll dough 1/4" thick into a rectangle
Spread each roll with 1/4 of the following mixture:

2 C sugar
1 TBS flour
2 C ground poppy seeds
1/2 C cream, scalded
1 TBS syrup ( white corn syrup)

Roll as for a jelly roll
Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes


Enjoy!
Peace in the Kitchen!

No comments:

Post a Comment