Wednesday, June 26, 2013

It's Wednesday, Taste Section of the Dallas Morning News / Buttermilk Blueberry Pancakes

There really wasn't much that tempted me in the Taste Section today. The cover story was about Lamb, not very vegetarian friendly. The other highlight was Wine, not my first choice to blog about . I've learned that if I look deeper into the Taste section, I can usually find something of interest.
Today, I chose..... Buttermilk Blueberry Pancakes.
Americans are not afraid to buy a Pancake Mix , make the batter according to directions on the box and then throw in a handful of Blueberries. I admit I'm guilty.
When I realized that there are readers of the blog that may not have access to a pre- made Pancake mix, I decided to post this recipe so they can make them from "scratch", according to Alicia Ross of the Dallas Morning News Taste Section.

Homemade Buttermilk Blueberry Pancakes:

1 C flour
1/2 C plain yellow cornmeal
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp baking soda
1 TBS sugar
1 large egg
2 TBS vegetable oil
1 1/2 C buttermilk ( homemade recipe to follow, if you don't have buttermilk)
Butter for cooking
1 pint blueberries
Real Maple Syrup for serving

In a medium bowl, combine:
flour
cornmeal
salt
baking soda
sugar
Set Aside

In a small bowl, combine:
egg
oil
buttermilk

Stir the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients, just until combined
Heat a griddle or non stick frying pan over medium - low heat
Butter the griddle
Pour the batter by 1/2 cupfuls onto the hot griddle and top with some blueberries
Cook pancakes 2 - 4 minutes on each side or until lightly golden brown

Remove to a warm plate
Repeat until all the pancakes are cooked

Serve immediately with maple syrup

Homemade Buttermilk:
1 TBS of Lemon Juice or 1 TBS White Vinegar ( to make 1 cup of Buttermilk)
Add the lemon juice or vinegar into a measuring cup and  then add the milk until it reaches the 1 C mark.
Let it sit for a few minutes



Enjoy!
Peace in the Kitchen!



No comments:

Post a Comment