Saturday, June 22, 2013

Pickles!

I think pickles have to be on the top of my list of favorite foods. My grandmother lived on Blacks Corners Road in the small town of Imlay City in Michigan and they had a Vlasic Pickle factory.. I was probably 3 years old when I first visited the factory. I always got, what I thought was the biggest pickle in the world, every time we visited. I loved pickles so much that my grandmother gave me a jar of pickles every Christmas.
I got into the habit of eating a pickle along with a chunk of Cheddar Cheese. I still have to eat them together.
As I got older I began to make my own pickles. I love any kind of pickles. We have a friend in Minnesota and every time she comes to Texas to visit, she brings me a jar of the best Minnesota State Fair Spicy Pickles. I look forward to Marit coming to visit....... maybe it's because of the pickles....?

When I married Anne, I discovered that her mother made some of the best pickles I've ever eaten. Anne says that her mother's are the best. We can't visit Kansas without having homemade pickles.


Summer Dills
Irene Thiessen
Inman, Kansas
I used to sit with Irene and we'd talk about recipes for hours. I would write down my favorites and keep them in my Recipe Book.


This is the Pickle Recipe that Anne remembers as a child.
Her Mother made them every year with Cucumbers from the Garden.
They are a Family Favorite.

No Canning, Easy Dill Pickles.
About 20 Whole Cucumbers.... more if needed.
A Gallon Jar
1 Large Bunch of Fresh Dill  (It was always available in Irene's Garden)

Mix Together:
6 C Warm Water (Not Hot.)
1 1/2 C Vinegar
3 TBS Salt
6 TBS Minced Garlic
Whisk well.

Pack the Dill in the Bottom of the Jar.
Pack the Cucumbers in the Jar as tight as possible.
Pour the Brine over the Cucumbers.
Cover and Set out at Room Temperature for 12 - 24 Hours.
Refrigerate until completely Chilled.

Enjoy!
Peace in the Kitchen!




Another Pickle recipe from the Family Farm in Inman, Kansas.
This recipe makes 1 gallon:

Refrigerator Pickles:

Large cucumbers, sliced thick
3 cups white vinegar
3 cups sugar
1/3 cup pickling salt
1 TBS mustard seed
1 TBS celery seed
1 tsp turmeric

Mix all ingredients & stir until the sugar dissolves
No cooking needed
Pour over cucumbers in jars
Do not seal jar, just put on the lids and set in the refrigerator.
They keep for several months


Vlasic Pickles 
415 S Blacks Corners Road
Imlay City, MI 48444-9761


Another Easy Refrigerator Pickle Recipe:

12 ( 3"- 4") cucumbers
2 C water
1 3/4 C plain vinegar
1 1/2 C Chopped Dill
1/2 C White Sugar
8 Clove of Garlic, chopped
1 1/2 TBS Coarse Salt
1 TBS Pickling Spice
1 1/2 tsp dill seed
1/2 tsp Red Pepper Flakes
4 Sprigs of Fresh Dill

Large Bowl:
Cucumbers
Water
Vinegar
Chopped Dill
Sugar
Garlic
Salt
Spice
Dill Seed
Red Pepper Flakes
Stir well and let stand for 2 hours until the salt and sugar have completely dissolved.

Remove the cucumbers to 3 - 1 1/2 pint wide mouth jars. 4 cucumbers in each jar.
Ladle with liquid and place 1 sprig of dill in each jar. Cover with lids and refrigerate 10 days before eating. Eat within 1 month, if you can wait that long! I can't



Enjoy!
Peace in the Kitchen!



Emmet's Spicy Dill Pickles.

This is an adaptation of a recipe by Trisha Yearwood.
These are an easy way to make spicy homemade pickles.

1 - 32 oz. Jar of Dill Pickles.
2 C  Granulated Sugar
2 TBS Tabasco Sauce
3 Cloves of Garlic

Drain the Pickles. Set the Pickles aside.
Pour the Juice into a Large Mixing Bowl.
Add:
Sugar
Tabasco Sauce
Garlic
Mix well until the Sugar dissolves.

Slice the Pickles 1/8" thick.
Return them to the Jar.
Pour in the Juice Mixture.
Refrigerate 5 Days.
Shake the Jar every day.

Enjoy!
Peace in the Kitchen!



Another Pickle recipe  from the Farm in Kansas.

This is Anne's mother's Pickle recipe. They were made in a Crock.

In a Saucepan on Medium High Heat:

2 Quarts of Water
1 C White Vinegar
1/4 C Salt
Mix well and bring to a Boil.

Small Cucumbers
Fresh Dill
A Gallan Jar

Pack Dill into the bottom of the Jar.
Add Cucumbers
Pour the Solution over the Cucumbers.

Cover the Jar and Immerse to in Boiling Water until the Cucumbers change color.

Remove from the Heat and let stand at room temperature overnight.
Refrigerate until Completely cooled.

Enjoy!
Peace in the Kitchen!


Here's another Kansas Recipe for Pickles:

Marie Ediger's Fridge Pickles, Buhler, Kansas.

1 Gallon of sliced Cucumbers
3 Medium Onions, sliced.
3 C White Vinegar
1 tsp Turmeric
1 tsp Mustard Seed
1 TBS Celery Seed
1/3 C Pickling Salt or Non Iodized Salt.

Put Cucumbers and Onions in a Gallon Jar.
Mix remaining ingredients together in a bowl and mix until completely dissolved.
Pour mixture over the Cucumbers.
This Brine is not Boiled.

Store in the Refrigerator.

Enjoy!
Peace in the Kitchen!










No comments:

Post a Comment