Thursday, June 27, 2013

Coconut Bars

I spent a few weeks in the West Indies on the Island of St Lucia in the 80's. I learned to climb a coconut tree and we picked fresh cashews from the porch of our mountain side hideaway. We fried coconut chips in coconut oil and lightly salted them. They were delicious. We also fried the cashews in coconut oil.
I found this recipe in one of my vintage recipe books and it reminded me of the Islands.

Coconut Bars:

1 C flour
1/2 C butter
1/2 C brown sugar

Mix the above ingredients together, press into a 10" square pan
Bake at 350 degrees for 15 - 20 minutes
Remove from the oven

In a small bowl, mix:
2 TBS flour
1 C brown sugar
2 eggs
1 C coconut
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 C chopped cashews
Spread mixture over the crust

Bake an additional 25 minutes

Cut into squares to serve

Enjoy!
Peace in the Kitchen

No comments:

Post a Comment