Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Dallas Morning News Recipe of the Week!

Today I have a great story from the Taste section of this week's Dallas Morning News.
I follow Ellise Pierce on my blog, she's a Denton, Texas native and I work in Denton.  Ellise wrote a book titled  Cowgirl Chef, Texas Cooking with a French Accent and she teaches classes at Central Market. Ellise also lives part time in Paris, France and I have a great passion for  Paris. I've visited Paris many, many times and we have many friends in France.
I live in Grapevine, Texas and we have a French inspired bakery in town, The Main Street Bread Baking Company.

 I live in Grapevine, I work in Denton and I travel to France.
As I read the article in the paper this morning, all of these connections came together.
Ellise wrote the article about recipes with a Santa Fe, New Mexico influence. As I continued reading, I noticed a recipe at the end of the article for Randy's Blueberry Buttermilk Pie.
I discovered that the pie recipe and story were posted by Jennifer Brightman Moschel.

Here's where the story comes together. Jennifer was an apprentice at the Bakery in Grapevine under the direction of our friend and French trained Master Pastry Chef, Pierre Thilliez. Jennifer went on to work for Randy ( the namesake of the pie recipe) at the Four Seasons Resort and Club at Las Colinas in Irving, Texas. The pie recipe was created by Randy Gehman, the Executive Pastry Chef at the Resort, and Randy is my neighbor! I should also mention that I've been a finalist in the Dallas Morning News . Central Market Holiday Cookie Baking Contest and ...... during one of the contest's that I competed in.... Randy was one of the judges.

As soon as I make the pie, I will post a picture.


Randy's Blueberry Buttermilk Pie

Since making the pies, I've added some changes that worked.
Please note them when reading the recipe!

This recipe makes 2 pies

3 1/2 C sugar
1 C flour
1 3/4 sticks unsalted butter ( softened)
6 eggs
2 C buttermilk
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 C fresh blueberries, lightly tossed in 2 TBS of flour ( divided), I added 2/3 C in each pie
2 uncooked pie crusts, frozen or homemade( thaw, if frozen ) I used Marie Callender's Frozen Deep Dish Pie Crust)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees, bake in the middle of the oven

In a large bowl, mix together flour and sugar and set aside
Melt butter and pour over the flour-sugar mixture. Whisk until totally incorporated
( the entire batter can be done in a stand mixer)

Add eggs one at a time, allowing each addition to become incorporated before adding the next one
Add buttermilk and vanilla
Mix well and set aside

Sprinkle the bottom of each pie shell with 1/4 C of berries ( I used 2/3 C in each pie)
Evenly distribute the buttermilk filling into the pie shells
Push the berries down into the filling. (I did not push them down)

Bake for 25 minutes
Rotate and bake 10 - 20 minutes more, tops should be golden brown ( I baked them for 45 - 50 minutes without turning them)

Remove and place on a rack to cool
Refrigerate until ready to serve

Substitute other fruit if you like, or leave the fruit out all together

Enjoy!
Peace in the Kitchen!


The recipe makes 2 pies, and there was some left over so.....

I made some in ramekins!


No comments:

Post a Comment