Friday, June 21, 2013

Avocado / Pesto stuffed Sweet Peppers

These peppers are the small yellow, red and orange peppers. I buy them at Costco.
I have a great Sweet Pepper Soup recipe on the blog that I make with them.

I recently came across this appetizer recipe and it looks very appealing.

I use my own recipe for homemade Pesto, recipe to follow. You can buy a jar of Pesto if you don't want to make your own. I happen to grow Basil and have a field of it. I make fresh Pesto and freeze so I have it whenever I need it. I simply bring it back to room temperature and use it in any recipe calling for fresh Pesto.

This is a small recipe only using 10 of the peppers. The bag I buy has a lot. I simply adjust the recipe, double or triple for the amount of peppers needed.

10 small sweet peppers ( remove the stem and seeds) I have a jalapeno seed remover that I use. It's an amazing gadget ( maybe it's a "Texas Thing")
2 ripe Avocados
2 TBS of Pesto
Salt and Pepper to taste

Process the Avocados and Pesto in a food processor until creamy
Season to taste with salt and pepper

Place filling in a Zip Lock Freezer Bag ( they're sturdier than a regular zip lock bag)
Snip off one of the corners
Pip the filling into each pepper.

That's it!
Arrange the peppers on a colorful serving platter for a great appetizer.


Pesto:

2 C loosely packed Fresh Basil leaves
2 medium cloves of Garlic
1/2 C Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1/3 C Pine Nuts
1/2 C Grated Romano or Parmesan Cheese ( hold back on the salt if using Romano)

In a Food Processor:
Add Basi leaves
Garlic
Puree until well incorporated
Add Cheese and Pine Nuts
Process to a thick paste
Gradually drizzle in Olive Oil until desired consistency
Season to taste with salt and pepper

I freeze it in mini muffin tins lined with a paper liner
After frozen, store in zip lock freezer bags until needed
Bring to room temperature for any recipe that requires Pesto

Enjoy!
Peace in the Kitchen!


No comments:

Post a Comment