Monday, March 17, 2014

Tex - French / Corn, Cheese and Green Chile Soufflé and Soufflé Aux Pommes de Terre

I don't think this would be considered a healthy recipe, but I sure do like it!
It's a combination of my Texas and French cooking background.
There are several options for the Cheese, (Swiss Gruyere, French Comte or P'tit Basque)

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.

Heavily Butter a 2 quart Souffle Dish or Charlotte Mold, sprinkle the bottom and sides with a light coating of Cornmeal.

2 TBS Butter
2 TBS Flour
1 C Whole Milk
3 C grated Gruyere
3 Eggs, separated
2 C Corn
1/2 Red Bell Pepper, diced
1 - 4oz. can of Diced Green Chiles
1/8 tsp Paprika
Salt and Pepper to taste

In a medium saucepan on low heat:
Melt Butter
Stir in Flour
Gradually whisk in Milk
Stir until thick and creamy
Remove from heat
Fold in Cheese

By hand, beat in yolks, one at a time.
Fold in Corn, Bell Pepper, Chiles, Paprika, Salt and Pepper.

In a separate bowl, beat egg whites until stiff and gently fold into batter.
Pour batter into the prepared dish.
Bake for 20 minutes.
Without opening the oven door - lower the temperature to 350 and continue baking for 5 minutes.
Serve immediately.



Soufflé Aux Pommes de Terre

I was surprised to find a French Recipe in my Aunt's collection.
I knew she cooked for a fairly wealthy family and now I see that
they ate quite well.
I speak French, I began traveling to France in 1970.
We have returned to France many, many times, it's our vacation destination,
and we have friends throughout France.
It's possible that the connection between my love of cooking and my
love of France may very well have been influenced by Aunt Faye.
Or, maybe the gene pool is stronger than we think!

Souffle Aux Pommes de Terre:
Add 1/2 C Cream to 2 cups Mashed Potatoes -
Salt & Nutmeg
Cook over low heat until very hot 
Remove from heat - add 2 TBS grated Parmesan or Swiss Cheese
Add 3 beaten Egg Yolks - one at a time, beating well after each addition
Cool - then fold in 4 well beaten Egg Whites.
Fill a generously buttered 2 quart Souffle Dish to 3/4 full.
Bake at 375 degrees for 30 - 35 min.



Enjoy!
Peace in the Kitchen!






No comments:

Post a Comment