Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Chocolate Mint Trifle


I've never posted or shared this Best of the Best Recipe before now. Since the creation of my blog, I decided to share all of my recipes. I think I've posted the majority of my original ones and my favorites that I refer to as Best of the Best. Some of them are, Banana Pudding, Bread Pudding, Tex Mex Corn Dip, Cream of Tomato Pesto Soup, Terry's Original Sangria and several of my contest finalist Cookie Recipes and Hatch Chile Contest Recipes.


Chocolate Mint Trifle:
This is an original recipe that I created for St. Patrick's Day in 1985.
It's one of my favorite Trifles. It is a Best of the Best Recipe.


Pudding:
1/2 C sugar
4 eggs
1 quart of half and half
2 squares of unsweetened chocolate
2 TBS Creme de Menthe

Cake:
1 box of Duncan Hines Chocolate Cake Mix
1/2 C chocolate syrup
Creme de Menthe
1 pint of heavy cream, whipped and sweetened with a bit of confectioner's sugar.
Chocolate shavings.

Pudding directions:

In a mixing bowl, combine sugar, eggs and beat with a hand mixer until creamy.

In a saucepan, scald the half and half.
Add squares of chocolate until melted and combined. 
Cool
Gradually add half and half mixture to the egg and sugar mixture.

Transfer to a double boiler and simmer until the pudding coats a spoon.
Add Creme de Menthe and continue to cook for just a few minutes.

Cake directions:
Follow the box directions, substituting Creme de Menthe for half of the water.

Bake in a buttered and floured Jelly Roll Pan, at 375 degrees for 15 minutes. (I use my Pan Release Mix), equal parts of Crisco, Vegetable Oil and Flour, mixed well and applied with a pastry brush. I always have a jar of it in the refrigerator).

Cut cake to line the bottom and sides of a straight sided glass Trifle Bowl. Sprinkle with Creme de Menthe, pour syrup over the cake. Add pudding into the center of the cake and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
Top with  green whipped cream flavored with Creme de Menthe (fold in a bit of the liqueur to make it green) and garnish with chocolate shavings.


Enjoy!
Peace in the Kitchen!

No comments:

Post a Comment