Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Corn Griddle Cakes

I follow many blogs and cooking sites, I'm constantly introduced to new recipes. Some of them I simply  re post and others, I adapt and give credit to the original post. I realize that thousands of recipes trade hands and are re posted. There are still chefs and cooks that create original recipes. I happen to enjoy creating them and I note that on any of mine that are posted on my blog.

I loved this recipe when I was first introduced to it, but I chose to adapt it. Sometimes I do that to make a recipe vegetarian, but I never claim them as my own. I made some changes to this one, but kept the integrity of the original recipe. I'm sure it's been passed around  many times. But thank you to I Love Texas Recipes, again, for posting another great recipe that I like. This one came from Recipe Girl via I Love Texas Recipes.

2 Tbs of vegetable oil, divided
1 C diced onion
1 C flour
3 TBS diced fresh chive
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
2/3 C whole milk
1 egg, beaten
1 (4oz) can of  Hatch peeled and diced green chiles, or 1/2 C of diced Roasted Hatch Chiles.
1 C corn (frozen, fresh or canned) If using frozen, thaw first!
1/2 C shredded Pepper Jack Cheese
Warm Maple syrup

You need a 10" Cast Iron Skillet

In the skillet, heat 1 TBS of oil over medium high heat.
Cook the onions until they begin to turn golden brown.
Transfer onions to a small bowl and set aside.
Keep the skillet ready to cook the corn cakes, don't wipe it clean.

In a medium mixing bowl. Whisk together:
flour
chives
baking powder
salt
cayenne pepper

Stir in:
milk
egg
oil
Just to moisten.
Fold in, onion, corn, cheese and green chiles.

Heat the remaining 1 TBS of oil in the skillet.
Pour 1/4 C of batter into the heated skillet for each corn cake.
Cook on each side for 3 - 4 minutes.
The cakes can also be prepared in a Cast Iron Griddle.

Serve each cake with warm Maple Syrup, Bacon and Sausage.
I serve mine with Vegetarian Bacon and Sausage.

Enjoy!
Peace in the Kitchen!



No comments:

Post a Comment