I have a copy of Cucina Italiana from 2001. I was getting rid of some magazines today and I found this interesting Vegetarian recipe using grilled zucchini , ricotta cheese and lemon zest.
- One 3-pound container fresh ricotta
- Zest of 2 lemons, finely chopped
- Pinch of red pepper flakes
- 2½ tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus extra
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 large zucchini
- Baby arugula for garnish (or if unavailable, substitute regular arugula, julienned)
To make the lemon ricotta: In a large mixing bowl, mix the ricotta with the zest, red pepper flakes, and olive oil and add salt and pepper to taste. Mix until well blended.
Heat a grill or grill pan. Using a mandoline or Y-shaped vegetable peeler, make 12 thin, lengthwise slices of zucchini about 1/8-inch thick. Brush slices lightly with olive oil and grill for approximately 30 seconds or until zucchini is soft and grill-marked. Remove to a rack and let cool.
Lay grilled zucchini strips on a flat work surface. Add approximately 1 tablespoon of the ricotta mixture to one end of the strip and roll. Garnish with baby arugula.