Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Dallas Morning News Taste Section 10/30/2013

I was excited to see the cover story today, Take a Shortcut to Mexico, and then I read the recipes and nothing looked interesting to me. That's unusual for a Texas cook. We love Mexican cuisine and our own creations of Tex-Mex cuisine. However, I was hoping to find something to post. I finally found something that intrigued me,  not Mexican but it sounds like something I would make. I created an original recipe for a Cranberry Rice Stuffing that I serve as a side dish at Thanksgiving ( Wild Rice and Orange Herb Stuffing). It's on the blog. This is similar but a bit different.

Cranberry Rice Stuffing

1/4 C uncooked wild rice
1/2 C uncooked long grain white rice
1/2 C dried cranberries
2 ribs of celery, chopped
2 green onions, finely sliced
1 red bell pepper, diced
1 C toasted, chopped pecans
2 TBS olive oil
2 TBS apple cider vinegar
1 tsp grated orange or lemon zest
1/4 C cranberry juice
1 tsp honey
black pepper

Cook rices separately according to package directions.
Toss together and spread out on a cookie sheet pan to cool to room temperature.
Transfer to a bowl and add cranberries, celery, onion, bell pepper and pecans.

Make a dressing by combining oil, vinegar, zest, cranberry juice and sugar.
Pour over rice and toss well.
Cover and refrigerate at least an hour for flavors to blend.
Taste for seasoning and add salt and pepper as desired.

Enjoy!
Peace in the Kitchen!


No comments:

Post a Comment