Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Apple Sauce

I often recommend Jonagold Apples for my tart, pie or crisp recipes. I was researching the best Apples for Apple Sauce and the list of best Apples for various recipes including eating them fresh off the tree, Pies, Apple Sauce. Tarts, etc.... every list included Jonagold. I think it was the only variety on every list.

Here's my favorite recipe for Jonagold Apple Sauce:

12 Jonagold Apples, peeled, cored and chopped into 1/2" pieces
1/2 C Organic Apple Juice
1 TBS Irish Butter
1 tsp Cinnamon
1 TBS Raw Honey or Pure Maple Syrup ( Grade B or Grade A Dark Amber are the best Maple Syrups)

In a saucepan:
Melt butter on low
Add apple juice, apples , cinnamon
Cover and simmer on low for 20 minutes, stir occasionally
Add honey or maple syrup and mix well
Remove from heat
Mash with a potato masher to retain some chunks or use a stick blender ( immersion blender) and puree.

Enjoy!
Peace in the Kitchen!

No comments:

Post a Comment