Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Irish Whiskey Cake with The Queen's Whiskey Sauce

We recently visited England and had a great time, for some reason, I've been thinking about Irish and Scotch Whiskey. I'm not really a Whiskey drinker, but I understand that if you get a really good Whiskey, you can sip it slowly, and it's incredible, like an aged Brandy!

 I decided to create a recipe for a Whiskey Cake using the best Irish Whiskey.

I already have my "Best of the Best " recipe for what I call, The Queen's Whiskey Sauce, as if I know whether the Queen drinks Whiskey!
I did get a chance to see her when we were in England..... maybe that was my opportunity to find out!

I didn't want to wait until Christmas to create this, so I thought I'd post it ahead of time so you all can plan to serve it, as I will, for Christmas dinner!


Here's what you'll need:
1 10" Bundt pan ( I like the classic Kugelhopf Pan) , brushed well with my Pan Release Mixture that's posted under  Tips, Hints and More. It's fool proof for release!

1 C of Chopped Pecans
1 18.25 box of Yellow Cake Mix
1 5 oz. box of Jello Cheesecake Instant Pudding Mix
1/2 C Water
4 Eggs
1/2 C Vegetable Oil
1/2 C Irish Whiskey, the best that you can afford!  As I researched Irish Whiskey, I discovered that there are some incredibly expensive brands.

The following is a list of some of the best "affordable" Irish Whiskies for this cake:
Jameson 12 yr. Old Blend
Black Bush
Powers
Redbreast
Green Spot
Connemara Cask Strength


Sprinkle the Pecans on the bottom of the pan

Mix together in a stand mixer, with a paddle attachment, or in a bowl with an electric mixer:
Cake Mix
Pudding Mix
Water
Eggs
Vegetable Oil
Whiskey
Beat well

Pour the batter into the pan.
Bake at 325 degrees for 1 hour

Place on a cooling rack until completely cooled.
Invert onto a serving platter

Serve with the following recipe for the Queen's Whiskey Sauce:

1 Pint of Heavy Cream
3 Eggs
1/2 C Sugar
1/2 tsp Vanilla
1 C Irish Whiskey ( the same brand of Whiskey you used in the cake batter)

In a Double Boiler over simmering water.
Cook Cream and Eggs , whisking constantly
Add Sugar
Add Vanilla
Whisking constantly for about 10 minutes
Slowly whisk in the Whiskey until fully incorporated

Drizzle it over slices of the Whiskey Cake. ( Be generous, you paid dearly for the Whiskey)

Enjoy!
Peace in the Kitchen!







No comments:

Post a Comment