Sunday, June 8, 2014

Fried Pickles

I have to admit, I love Fried Pickles. There are so many recipes for them. There are so many different ways that they're made and served in restaurants. There are restaurants that serve fried pickles that I love and some that I don't.
Here's my favorite recipe for Fried Pickles.

First of all...... they have to be Dill Pickles, no other's will do.
I grew up eating Vlasic Dill Pickles. The factory was in the town where my grandparent lived. My sister and I toured the factory many times as kids. When we left, we got the biggest dill pickle that we had ever seen. Of course we were little, so they all looked like the biggest pickles we had ever seen!
I still eat Vlasic pickles today and my favorites for this recipe are Vlasic Sea Salt Kosher Dills.

Buy a jar of whole pickles and slice them however thick or thin you want them. I don't like mine really thin but not too thick either. You'll figure that out as you begin making them.


Here's the batter:

1 C Buttermilk
1 Egg
4 -6 dashes of Tabasco Sauce
1 C Flour
1/4 tsp Paprika
1/2 tsp Garlic Powder
1/2 tsp Cayenne Pepper
Cooking Oil, you're choice.

You'll need a large heavy  pot. I use a large Cast Iron Chicken Fryer. If you have an 8 qt. Enamel Cast Iron soup pot that would be great.
Heat at least 2" of oil to about 350 degrees.
I just guess by dropping a bit of batter into the hot oil. You'll know.
This recipe is not exacting.
The more you make them, the better you'll get!

In a large mixing bowl:
Buttermilk
Egg
Tabasco
Whisk well.

Add a bunch of sliced pickles to the bowl and stir.

In another bowl:
Flour
PaprikaGarlic Powder
Cayenne Pepper
Whisk well.

Add a bunch of the marinated pickles to the flour bowl.
Stir them around with your hands.
Shake off some of the excess flour.
Carefully drop  about 8 of them into the hot oil. Fry them in batches of 8. This will help maintain the temperature of the oil.

Fry them for about 5 minutes. They should be golden brown.
Remove them with a slotted spoon to a paper towel lined cooling rack over a sheet pan.

Now, you can dip them in your favorite sauce.
I like to dip them in "Fry Sauce" and here's the recipe:

1/2 C Ketchup
1/2 C Mayonnaise
Hot Sauce for spice ( in Texas  Tabasco is mandatory) Add as much or as little as you like.
Mix well in a serving bowl.

This sauce is also great for French Fries.

Enjoy!
Peace in the Kitchen!

No comments:

Post a Comment