Friday, June 6, 2014

Colonial Apple Charlotte

I've been cleaning out some of my vintage recipes today and trying to transfer them to my blog.
I just discovered this recipe in my archives. It was difficult to decifer it. I know that I've made it, so I should be able to re write the recipe.
It's a very old recipe so read it several times before you attempt to prepare it.
It's a great dessert to serve at Thanksgiving or Christmas and throughout the Winter.




Here's what you'll need:
1 - 12" Cast Iron Skillet with a lid
My notes say that I made it in my large  Cast Iron Chicken Fryer that has a lid.

Brown Sugar
Nutmeg
Cinnamon
2 1/2 sticks of butter ( 1 stick small cubes, for the pieces between the layers of the Charlotte, 1 stick melted and 1/2 stick to butter the skillet.
1 French Baguette, day old, dried and crumbled ( or enough to coat the skillet, enough for 2 layers and 2 C for the top.
5 Apples, peeled, cored and sliced
Zest of 1 Lemon
Juice of 1 Lemon

In a large mixing bowl:
Apples
Lemon Zest
Lemon Juice
Mix well

In a separate bowl:
1 C Brown Sugar
1 tsp Nutmeg
1 TBS Cinnamon
Whisk well.

Butter the skillet with 1/2 stick of the Butter.

In another bowl:
1 stick of butter, melted
2 C Bread Crumbs
Some of the Brown Sugar Mixture
Mix well.

Begin layering the skillet in the following order:
Some of the Crumbs
Some of the Apples
Some of the Sugar Mixture
Bits of the cubed Butter
Repeat, ending with Apples.
Top with the Melted Butter/Crumb Mixture.

Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.
Increase heat to 400 degrees and bake an additional 30 minutes.

Serve warm with Vanilla Ice Cream or Whipped Cream.

Enjoy!
Peace in the Kitchen!



No comments:

Post a Comment