Saturday, June 7, 2014

Cranberry Cream Freeze , Cherry Cream Freeze from my childhood and my contemporary version of it in a pie

Cranberry Cream Freeze:

This was my Aunt's favorite version of a Fruit Freeze Dessert.
The second recipe was the one my mother always made during the holidays and it was my favorite childhood dessert.
The third recipe is my contemporary version of my mother's, made into a pie.
I hope you like all three of them.

This is from Aunt Faye's collection of recipes.
The photograph is from the original magazine recipe.

1 - can (14 oz.) sweetened condensed milk
1/4 C lemon juice
2 C miniature marshmallows
1- can (16 oz.) whole berry cranberry sauce
1- can (20 oz.) crushed pineapple, well drained
1/2 C chopped pecans
3 drops of red food coloring
1 - (8oz.) container of Cool Whip, thawed

In a large mixing bowl:
Milk
Lemon Juice
Whisk well.

Add:
Marshmallows
Cranberry Sauce
Pineapple
Pecans
food coloring
Stir to mix well.

Fold in Cool Whip until completely combined and the color changes to solid pink!

Pour into a 9" X 13" baking dish.
Freeze overnight.
Cut into squares to serve.

Enjoy!
Peace in the Kitchen!




My mother always made this for Thanksgiving and Christmas beginning in the 50's.
It was my favorite dessert as a child.

My mother made it in aluminum ice cube trays without the dividers.
I have a source for them, I will order some for this recipe.

Here's my mother's recipe.
Cherry Cream Freeze:

1 1/3 C (15oz. can) sweetened condensed milk
1/4 C lemon juice
1- 12 oz. package of frozen sweet dark cherries.
3/4 C ( 1 9 oz. can) well drained crushed pineapple.
1/4 tsp almond extract.
2 C heavy cream, stiffly whipped.

In a large mixing bowl, combine:
milk
lemon juice
cherries
pineapple
almond extract
Mix well.

Gently fold in whipped cream.

Place mixture into a 9" x 5"x 3"  Loaf Pan.
Cover tightly with Foil
Freeze for 24 hours.
Dip pan half way in a pan of warm water to release.
Un mold onto a serving platter.
Slice to serve.

Enjoy!
Peace in the kitchen!



Cherry Cream Freeze Pie

When I was a child, my mother made a Cherry Cream Freeze Dessert. It was my favorite dessert. She made it for me every Christmas. The recipe is on the blog.
Here's my contemporary version made into a pie!

1 - box of Pillsbury Pie Crust
Prepare according to package directions for 1 single baked 9" pie shell.
Bake in a 9" glass pie plate.
Bake according to package directions.

1 C sweetened flaked coconut
1 can (15.25oz.) crushed pineapple, well drained
1 C maraschino cherries, drained, chopped. Reserve 1 TBS
4 oz. (1C) slivered almonds
1 1/3 C  (15oz. can) sweetened condensed milk
5 TBS fresh lime juice
Reserved cherry juice
1/4 tsp almond extract
1 1/2 C frozen  whipped topping, thawed

In a large bowl:
Combine the first 8 ingredients

Fold in Whipped Topping
Pour into crust
Refrigerate overnight

Enjoy!
Peace in the Kitchen!

No comments:

Post a Comment