Tuesday, October 20, 2015

Granola


1968! Peace and Love!

I was a 60's child.

I spent the summer of 67' hanging out at the beach, earning money by painting flowers on people and flowers on rocks.

I wrote poetry and loved all of the music of the 60's.
I ate Granola and Zucchini Muffins and Organic food and at one time I worked at a shop called The Village Green in Birmingham, Michigan.

We made candles and soap and we macraméd clothing, plant hangers and door coverings for our dorm rooms or wherever we lived.
We played guitars and the piano and sang songs of freedom.

I graduated from High School in 1968 and I started College in 1968. It was a very eclectic time in the world.
I didn't care what color you were , where you came from or what religion you practiced. I believed that we should love all people from all parts of the world.

I was a care free spirit and I wanted nothing more, in the world , than to have everyone live in Harmony and Peace!

I was a Peace Corps Volunteer and I spent time living and backpacking around Europe which gave me an opportunity to embrace people and cultures that I had never experienced before.

I loved to cook and I learned about food in other cultures.
Today I had a flashback to the 60's and I began researching and writing recipes that I remembered back in the days of Health Food and Organic Food.

I will post them soon.............
until then,









Peace in the Kitchen!




I love Granola and I love to make it. We always have Granola in the Pantry. It's a great snack, a great topping for Yogurt. I decided to dedicate this post to all of my favorite homemade Granola Recipes.


I posted one Granola Recipe called Hippy Maple Pecan.

Here's another one that's Far Out and from the 70's

I toasted the Almonds, Sesame Seeds, Sunflower Seeds and Wheat Germ
in the oven at 350 degrees for about 15 minutes.
Stir them once and watch them carefully.
If I don't have Wheat Germ I've added Flaxseed. If I don't have Raisins I've added Dried Blueberries. You can substitute Pecans for Almonds, etc.
You can substitute ingredients as long as you keep the same amounts.

When I make this recipe, I double it. It never seems to last long.

2 C Rolled Oats
1 C Toasted Almonds
1/4 C Sesame Seeds
1/2 C Toasted Sunflower Seeds
1/2 C Unsweetened Coconut Flakes
1/4 C Toasted Wheat Germ
1 C Raisins
1/2 C Dried Cranberries
1/4 C Safflower Oil
1/2 C Honey

Mix together in a large bowl:
Oats
Nuts
Grains

Drizzle mixture with Oil
Drizzle with Honey
Toss together to coat evenly

Place the mixture on a rimmed sheet pan ( you know, the one with an edge), or in a Roaster.
Bake for 30 minutes at 300 degrees, stirring every ten minutes.
Return it to the bowl.
Add Coconut, Raisins and Cranberries, mix well.
Return to the Sheet Pan or Roaster , break up the clumps, spread evenly and cool completely.
Store in an airtight container.

Enjoy!
Peace in the Kitchen





Hippy Maple Pecan Granola:

This is Far Out Man!

10 C Rolled Oats
2 1/2C Roughly chopped Pecans
2 1/2 C Pure Maple Syrup or Agave Syrup
2/3 C Canola Oil
1 tsp Vanilla
1 tsp Salt

Line 2 sheet pans ( the ones with an edge) with Parchment Paper

Mix all of the ingredients in a large hand made groovy 60's pottery bowl!  I know you all have one!

Spread the mixture evenly on the 2 sheet pans.
Bake both pans together on 2 racks at 300 degrees for 15 minutes.
Switch pans, stir and continue to bake another 15 minutes.
Stir again
Bake another hour, stirring every 15 minutes.
Cool completely
Break into pieces and store in your favorite 60's covered pottery canister! You know, the one that matches that bowl!

Enjoy!
Peace in the Kitchen!

Granola Bites in a Muffin Tin:

We buy Granola Bites at a local Market.
I think this recipe fits in well with the theme of this blog.

In the 60's & 70's we certainly ate  a lot of Granola. I've posted my Hippy Granola Recipe on the Blog.

This is simple and very close to the ones we buy.

1 1/2 C Quick Rolled Oats ( not instant )
1/2 C Almond Flour
1/2 C Flax Seeds
1/2 C Chopped Walnuts
1/4 C Sunflower Seeds
1/2 C Dried Blueberries
1/2 C Dried Cranberries
1/2 C Dried Coconut
1/2 tsp Cinnamon
1/8 tsp Nutmeg
1/8 tsp Clove
1/4 tsp Salt
1 Egg, beaten
2/3 C Honey
1/4 C Vegetable Oil
1 tsp Vanilla extract
1 tsp Almond extract

In a large bowl, mix well:
The first 12 ingredients ( the dry ingredients )

In a separate bowl, mix well:
The next 5 ingredients ( the wet ingredients )

Mix the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients  until dry ingredients are completely moistened.

Divide among 12 cups of a regular size Muffin Tin

Press down with the bottom of a glass
Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes or until they begin to brown slightly

Cool before releasing from the pan

Enjoy!
Peace in the Kitchen!

Hippy Squares:

And I found the name I chose to be quite meaningful. I've never met a "square" Hippy!

2 Ripe Bananas, thinly sliced
2 TBS Hemp Seed
2 TBS Flax Powder
1/2 C Local Honey
1/3 C of Maple Syrup  ( the good stuff, not Pancake syrup)
1 tsp Almond  Extract
3 TBS Grape Seed Oil, divided
1/2 C Chopped Mixed Nuts
2 1/2 C Quick Oats
1/2 C Whole Wheat Flour
2 Eggs
1/2 C Dried Cranberries

In a microwavable mixing bowl:
Banana's
Hemp Seeds
Flax
Mix well and microwave for 30 seconds.
Stir well to combine.
Transfer to a large mixing bowl.

Add:
Honey
Maple Syrup
Almond Extract
2 TBS Grape Seed Oil
Knead and fold by hand with a wooden spoon for 3 minutes.

Fold in:
Nuts
Cranberries

Add:
Salt
Oats
Flour
Knead by hand, in the bowl.

Add:
Eggs and continue to knead by hand.
Dust your hands with flour if the dough appears to be too sticky.

Brush a 9" X 13" baking dish with the remaining Oil and coat well.
Place the dough in the pan, gently and evenly press the dough and spread it out.
Top with Cranberries
Bake at 350 degrees for 30 - 35 minutes.
Remove from oven and cool completely on a cooling rack.
Cut into squares to serve.

Enjoy!
Peace in the Kitchen!


Here's a favorite Holiday Bundt Cake. I thought it was perfect for The Hippy in the Kitchen Blog.
It's served with a decadent Espresso Coffee Glaze.
I hope you take time to make and enjoy this cake. I know that I'll be baking it for Christmas.

Granola Harvest Cake with Espresso Coffee Glaze:

Here's what you'll need:
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
1 - 10 - 12 C Bundt Pan, your choice of design, brushed well with Pan Release Mix. (equal parts of Crisco, Vegetable Oil and Flour) I start with 1 C of each mixed well and refrigerated in a jar. I always have it available for all of my baking needs.



Cake Ingredients:
1 3/4 C Boiling Water
1 C Granola (your choice)
1C of Raisins
1 C Granulated Sugar
1/2 C Brown Sugar
1 C Crisco Shortening
3 Eggs
2 1/2 C Sifted Flour
2 tsp Baking Powder
1 tsp Baking Soda
1 tsp Salt
1 tsp Nutmeg
1 tsp Cinnamon

In a medium bowl:
Pour the boiling water over the granola and raisins.
Cool to Lukewarm.

In a Stand Mixer with a paddle attachment:
Crisco
Granulated Sugar
Brown Sugar
Beat for 3 minutes, until creamy smooth.
Add Eggs, one at a time.

In a medium bowl, sift together:
Flour
Baking Powder
Baking Soda
Salt
Nutmeg
Cinnamon
Whisk well.

While the mixer is on low speed, gradually add the dry ingredients.
Mix until just incorporated.
Fold in the Granola/Raisin mixture by hand.
Pour batter into the pan and Bake for 40 - 50 minutes.
A toothpick in the center of the cake should come out clean.
Remove the pan to a rack and cool for 15 minutes.
Invert the cake onto the rack, place it right side up and cool completely. (invert it twice)
Transfer the cake to a serving platter,
Drizzle with Espresso Coffee Glaze before serving.

Coffee Glaze:
1 tsp Medaglia d'Oro Instant Espresso Coffee.
3 TBS Hot Milk
2 C sifted Confectioner's Sugar
1 TBS Butter, softened

Dissolve Coffee in the Milk.

In a small bowl, whisk together:
Sugar
Butter
Whisk well.

Gradually add the Milk mixture just until desired consistency.
Whisk until creamy smooth.

Enjoy!
Peace in the Kitchen!

Apple Pecan Granola:

Here's what you'll need:
Preheat the Oven to 350 degrees.
1 - Sheet Pan lined with Parchment Paper

3 C Old Fashioned Oats
1 C Roughly Chopped Pecans
2 tsp Apple Pie Spice
1/2 tsp Cinnamon
1/4 C Brown Sugar
1/2 C Applesauce
2 TBS Honey
1 TBS Canola Oil

In a large mixing bowl:
Oats
Pecans
Apple Pie Spice
Cinnamon
Brown Sugar
Applesauce
Honey
Canola Oil
Whisk well.

Pour over the Oat Mixture
Mix well.
Spread evenly on the Sheet Pan.
Bake 25 - 30 minutes, stirring half way.
Remove the pan to a rack to cool completely.

Enjoy!
Peace in the Kitchen!


Who doesn't love a Fruit Crumble Bar. They always seem to show up at a neighborhood gathering, a picnic, a church bake sale and of course at a Christmas cookie exchange. I love them year round!
Our former next door neighbor moved a few blocks away and every month she puts a copy of a magazine she subscribes to in my mailbox. Thank you to my friend Jan for providing me with inspirational recipes for my blog.  Today I saw a recipe from Ina Garten, The Barefoot Contessa, for these Fruit Bars. There's nothing special about them, except that they have Granola in the Crumble and that alone was appealing enough for this Hippy in the Kitchen to adapt it and post it here.

Fruit Crumble Bars with Granola:

2 sticks of butter, room temperature
3/4 C granulated sugar
1 tsp almond extract
2 1/2 C flour
1/2 tsp salt
2/3 C Granola, I Granola from Ikea. ( photograph to follow)
1 1/2 C of your favorite fruit preserves. I use a 13 oz. jar of Bonne Maman, here are some of the varieties:
Raspberry
Apricot
Blackberry
Strawberry
Cherry
Fig
Peach
Field Blueberry
Mandarin

In a stand mixer with a paddle attachment:
Cream butter and sugar until well combined
Add almond extract and mix well

In a separate bowl:
Sift flour and salt together and gradually incorporate it into the butter, mixing until it just begins to form a dough ball.

Remove the dough and divide it into thirds.

Lightly press 2/3 of the dough into a 9" square baking pan, including 1/2" up the sides.
Evenly spread the jam over the dough leaving a 1/2" border.

In a small bowl, combine granola and remaining 1/3 of the dough, mixing it with your hands to create a crumble.
Scatter the crumble evenly over the jam.
Sprinkle with slivered almonds
Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes.
Cool completely before cutting into squares.






Enjoy!
Peace in the Kitchen!






No comments:

Post a Comment