Friday, December 13, 2013

Apple Dutch Baby Pancake ...... made in a Cast Iron Skillet

I love any recipe using Cast Iron Cookware. Here's a great example:

I just received a version of this recipe from Bisquick. I've made a few changes and adapted it.
I have other recipes for Dutch Babies with Ham and Miniature Dutch Babies in a Muffin Tin that can be found on the blog. I always loved serving Dutch Babies for a family Holiday Breakfast, or a Brunch with friends. I've had the Dutch Babies with Ham recipe since 1979. Since I've been a Vegetarian for 20 years, I had put that recipe in the back of my files. I resurrected it for my non Vegetarian friends. (I've recently discovered Tofurky make a Vegetarian Ham)

I've posted a home made recipe for Bisquick because I have many followers around the world that may not have access to the product. You can make a recipe for it and keep it in the refrigerator up to 4 months. You would use it in any recipe asking for Bisquick.


Apple Dutch Babies

3 TBS butter
4 Apples, peel, core and slice thin. (I use Jonagold, you can also use GrannySmith or Rome) There are many other varieties of Apples that are great for baking.
1/4 C Brown Sugar
2 TBS Cinnamon
1 1/2 C Bisquick Mix
1/4 C Granulated Sugar
1 C Buttermilk
1 TBS Lemon Juice
1 tsp Almond Extract
2 Eggs
1 TBS Cinnamon/Sugar mixture
Warm Maple Syrup

Heat the oven to 450 degrees.

Place the Butter in the Oven  in a 10" Cast Iron Skillet and Melt it, about 2 minutes.
Add:
Apples
Brown Sugar
Cinnamon
Toss to Coat Well.

Bake for 2 Minutes
Stir and Bake an additional 2 Minutes.
Stir again and Bake an additional 3 Minutes.
Stir for the last time.

Reduce heat to 400 degrees.

In a Large Bowl, Whisk together:
Bisquick
Granulated Sugar
Buttermilk
Lemon Juice
Almond Extract
Eggs

Whisk Well

Pour Batter evenly over the Apples.
Bake at 400 degrees for 25 - 30 minutes.
Sprinkle with Cinnamon/Sugar

Serve with Warm Maple Syrup.


Enjoy!
Peace in the Kitchen


Homemade Bisquick Mix: (use this Mixture whenever a Recipe calls for Bisquick)

6 C Flour
3 TBS Baking Powder
1 TBS Salt
1 C Vegetable Shortening

In a Large Bowl, Sift together:
Flour
Baking Powder
Salt
Sift this Mixture 3 times ( don't skip this process)
Cut in Shortening with a Pastry Blender or 2 Forks until the Mixture is Crumbly!
Store this in an Airtight Container for up to 4 months in the Refrigerator.


Enjoy!
Peace in the Kitchen!












No comments:

Post a Comment