Thursday, September 18, 2014

Crispy, Spice Brined Pecans from Food52

I made these for Christmas and they are truly unique and delicious. They are unlike any other spiced Nuts I have ever made. I will add them to our Holiday Menu again this year.
The process is long, but the end result is worth it.


These are so interesting and different than most spiced nuts.
They're not sweet and hot, they're not sugary and cinnamony, they're not sweet and made with egg whites.....they're amazing!
I've posted recipes for other roasted and spiced nuts that I also love.
Check out all of them and decide for yourself.
I just liked the fact that these are so different than all of the others.

The process is long, but the results are worth it.
I began soaking them at 10pm.
They were done soaking at 6am.
I put them in the oven and roasted them until 6pm.

I doubled the original recipe and this is my adaptation.

8 C pecan halves
8 tsp sea salt
12 - 1" pieces of cinnamon sticks
2 tsp nutmeg
12 whole cloves
8 pieces of 1"X3" orange peel
6 C boiling water

Place water in a large bowl ( it will eventually accommodate the pecans too).
Add all ingredients except the pecans.

Cool to luke warm.
Stir well.

Add pecans and soak for 8 hours.

Preheat the oven to 150 degrees.
With a slotted spoon, remove only the pecans and spread them out onto 2 full sized baking sheet pans lined with parchment paper.

Roast the pecans for 12 hours.
Store in sealed jars.







No comments:

Post a Comment