Monday, September 29, 2014

Cranberry and Roasted Red Pepper Salsa and other favorite Salsas, Sauces and Relishes made with Cranberries!

This is a condiment to serve along with your main course at Thanksgiving. Its more of an accompaniment rather than a side dish.
It would be a nice spread for a leftover Thanksgiving Sandwich too.
I've previously posted a Tex - Mex Cranberry Sauce that i make at Thanksgiving and Christmas. I'll post it at the end of this recipe.
Make this a few days ahead of serving it, it only gets better as it sits.

1 C Fresh Cranberries
Juice of 1/2 Orange
1/3 C Granulated Sugar
1 (12oz.) jar of Roasted Red Peppers, diced
3 TBS Chopped Fresh Cilantro
3 TBS Chopped Pecans
Zest of 1/2 Lime
Zest of 1/2 Orange
Salt to taste........ just a pinch!

In a Food Processor:
Cranberries
Orange Juice
Sugar
Pulse for about 30 seconds.

Transfer to a mixing bowl.
Fold in, by hand:
Red Peppers
Cilantro
Pecans
Lime Zest
Orange Zest
Salt
Allow to sit for at least 30 minutes.
Refrigerate until ready to serve.
Transfer to a serving bowl.

Enjoy!
Peace in the Kitchen!


I believe Texas has it's own special take on most recipes and I'm convinced that I can turn any recipe into a Texas or Tex-Mex version.
This one happens to be my current favorite Cranberry Sauce recipe!
Make it at least a week before serving, it just gets better!
Put it in a canning jar and refrigerate until needed.

I created it in 2003 and I should post a photograph of the page in my hand written book where I created it. It's a mess!
It's somewhat difficult to make sense of the recipe so I'm glad I have the opportunity to publish it in a form that I can read clearly!

Terry's Original Texas Cranberry Sauce:

1 pound (about 4 C) of Fresh Cranberries. I suppose you can just thaw some frozen ones if that's all
you can get.
1 1/2 C Sugar
1 Jalapeno, finely diced ( seeded ) If you want a kick of heat then keep the seeds!
1 C Water
2 TBS Fresh Cilantro, finely chopped
1 Whole Lime, finely chopped, including the peel
3/4 C Crushed Pineapple, drained
1/2 C chopped Pecans ( you know I believe that Pecans will make any recipe Texan)!
2 Green Onions, (the entire onion) chopped

Wash the Cranberries and set them aside
Bring Sugar and Water to a boil
Add the Cranberries and Lime
Simmer, stirring often until the berries pop
Add the PIneapple
Cool this mixture
When completely cooled ( you can refrigerate it)
Fold in the Cilantro, Onion, Jalapeno and Pecans.
Chill again before serving

Enjoy!
Peace in the Kitchen!
This is how I work..... nothing fancy about it.

Enjoy!
Peace in the Kitchen!


Another favorite Cranberry recipe!

Cranberry Salsa:

This may seem unusual but it's really one of my Best of the Best recipes.
In my notes , I wrote that I doubled this recipe.
This can be served as a side dish or served with tortilla chips.( after all it is a Salsa and I live in Texas).

I'm always researching and testing new recipes. When I can't find exactly what I'm looking for, I begin taking from one and adding something from another until I create what I believe is the Best of the Best!

I created this one a few years ago and it was served at Thanksgiving, there were no leftovers!

I refer to blanching in this recipe. Blanching is simply bringing water to a boil and adding something to it and then remove the contents and plunge into ice water to stop the cooking.

2 C whole fresh or frozen cranberries. Blanch the berries. Boil enough water to cover the berries. Pour boiling water over the berries,  then plunge them into ice water to stop the cooking.
1 small jalapeno pepper,minced
2 TBS chopped red onion
2 TBS chopped green bell pepper
1 tsp minced garlic
2 TBS chopped cilantro

Sauce:
1/4 C Canned Cherry Pie Filling from 1 - 21oz. can.( remove the cherries, divide them in half and save until later)
1 tsp cider vinegar
1 TBS sugar
1/2 TBS corn starch

Preparation:
In a saucepan, mix the sauce ingredients together and cook just until heated and combined well.
Cool the mixture, add all of the other ingredients listed above and combine well.

Process the mixture by pulsing it in a food processor.

Remove half of the mixture from the processor to a bowl and stir in half of the cherries from the filling.

Add the remaining  half of the cherries to the processor and pulse again.

Combine both mixtures and gently stir them together.
Chill before serving.



Enjoy!
Peace in the Kitchen!


This comes from my collection of the Best of the Best recipes. 2008
The note I have at the bottom of the page in the book says, "don't even make another kind, this is incredible."
I know that everyone has their favorite cranberry relish recipe and I would have to say, this is mine.
I make it a week ahead.

Cranberry Relish:

1- 12 0z. bag of fresh Cranberries
1 large Apple, peeled, cored and coarsely chopped
1C Golden Raisins
3/4 C Sugar
1/2 C Orange Juice
1/2 TBS Balsamic Vinegar
1/2 tsp Cinnamon
1/2 C chopped Pecans (added when cooled)

Place all ingredients except vinegar and pecans in a saucepan and stir to combine well.
Bring to a boil over medium heat.
Lower heat and simmer until thickened, about 5 minutes
Remove from heat, add vinegar.
Place in a heatproof container, cover and cool to room temperature.
Add Pecans when completely cooled.
Refrigerate covered.
It will keep up to 2 weeks refrigerated.

Enjoy!
Peace in the Kitchen!







No comments:

Post a Comment