Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Apple Bars

The weather is getting a bit cooler. Actually, I just wish it were. But when it does, I'll buy Apples and make Apple desserts.
I grew up in Michigan and there was an Apple Orchard at the end of our street. We would raid the orchard as often as we could get away with it. I'm sure the owner was completely aware that the kids were eating plenty of his Apples!  Apparently we got away with it, because I don't ever remember getting caught!

Here's a great Apple Bar to start the Fall season.
Since I discovered Jonagold Apples, they've become my first choice when it comes to baking with Apples.

Jonagold
Apple Bars:

2 C Flour
16 TBS (2 sticks) Butter
1/2 C Rolled Oats
1 C Brown Sugar
1 C Water
1 C Granulated Sugar
3 TBS Cornstarch
1 TBS Vanilla
3 C  peeled, cored and sliced Apples

Here's what you'll need:
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
9" X 13" baking dish brushed with my Pan Release Mix (equal parts of Crisco, Vegetable Oil and Flour) I start with 1 C of each mixed well in a jar and refrigerated. I always have it available for all of my baking needs.

In a large mixing bowl:
Flour
Butter
Rolled Oats
Brown Sugar
Mix well with a wooden spoon.
Press 3/4 of the mixture into the pan.

In a saucepan on medium heat:
Water
Granulated Sugar
Bring to a boil.

In a small bowl:
2 TBS Water
1 TBS Cornstarch
Stir until combined.
Add this to the saucepan.
Stir well.
Add the remaining Cornstarch ,
Stir until it begins to thicken.
Remove from heat, set aside.

Add:
Vanilla
Apples
Mix well.
Pour evenly over the crust.
Sprinkle evenly with remaining Rolled Oat mixture.

Bake 40 minutes, the top should be golden brown.
Remove the pan to a rack and cool completely.
Cut into squares to serve.


Enjoy!
Peace in the Kitchen!

No comments:

Post a Comment