Sunday, July 7, 2013

Skillet Apple Cake

I have a vast collection of Cast Iron. It may very well be my favorite cookware. Some of my pieces are as non stick as any manufactured non stick cookware. I always had issues buying non stick cookware. I take very good care of my Cast Iron and it serves me well.
I have many recipes from vintage, to family favorites, and here's just another great Apple recipe.
I grew up in Michigan and we were surrounded by Apple Orchards. My Grandmother had many recipes with Apples as the main ingredient.
This was one of Aunt Faye's family favorites.

Skillet Apple Cake

3/4 C granulated sugar
3/4 C brown sugar
1/2 C butter

Cream both sugars and butter together in a stand mixer or by hand
Cream them well until the sugars are well incorporated.

Add:
2 eggs
1/8 tsp salt
1 1/2 C flour
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp baking soda
Continue mixing until well blended

Fold in 4 C ( 2 large)  peeled cored and sliced Apples. ( I use my apple, peeler, corer gadget) I've posted a photograph of it with another Apple recipe) My favorite baking Apples are Jonagold.

Pour the batter into a 12" Cast Iron Skillet
Bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes

Remove from the oven and while it's still hot, drizzle the following topping over the cake and return it to the oven to continue baking.

Topping:
2TBS butter, melted
3 TBS milk
1 1/2 C brown sugar
Mix well in a small bowl and cover the hot cake with the topping
Return to the oven and continue to bake for an additional 25 minutes.

Option:
After the cake is finished baking, top with 1 C chopped pecans or Walnuts.
Serve with Whipped Cream or Vanilla Ice Cream

Enjoy!
Peace in the Kitchen!

No comments:

Post a Comment