Sunday, July 7, 2013

Dulce de Leche

A few weeks ago a food blogger was talking about making your own Dulce de Leche. It's basically a Caramel Sauce made from a can of sweetened condensed milk.
I was preparing a menu for a July 4th party which was to include my Frozen Margarita Pie.
It's made with 1 can of Sweetened Condensed Milk.
We have a pantry in our garage and it gets quite hot in there in this brutal Texas weather.
When I opened the can, it had already turned into the most beautiful and delicious caramel, Dulce de Leche. Consequently, I couldn't use it for the recipe so I've been researching the possibilities for a recipe.
Everything I've found appears to be extremely sweet, and I realized that I didn't want to simply pour it into a crust and refrigerate it for a pie that would be topped with whipped cream.
I also knew that I wouldn't make a Cheesecake with it.
Here are the ways that I decided I would use it.

Add chopped pecans, coconut and some powdered sugar to ice a Chocolate Cake.

Spread onto Crepes , fold in half twice to create a wedge and enjoy!

Add to Coffee with a bit of Half and Half.

Make your favorite Brownie batter , pour into a baking pan, drizzle with Dulce de Leche, swirl it around with either a skewer or a knife and bake as directed.

To make your own:
Pre heat the oven to 475 degrees.
Empty 1 (14oz.) can of Sweetened Condensed Milk into a glass or ceramic pie pan, cover tightly with aluminum foil. Place the pie pan into a Roasting Pan that has boiling water half way up the pie pan.
Bake for 1 hour.
Remove to a bowl and whisk or beat until smooth and use as directed in the suggestions above.

Enjoy!
Peace in the Kitchen!

No comments:

Post a Comment