Monday, July 8, 2013

Pickled Beets

I hesitated to post this recipe because I didn't know if anyone else but me would pickle beets.
We went to our local farmer's market 2 weeks ago and I bought some beets. They were quite large and I wasn't sure what I was going to do with them.
I decided to pickle them and I'm glad I did. These are the best tasting beets I have ever eaten.
This is a Best of the Best Recipe.

There were about 4 - 5 beets in various sizes and a few were large. I peeled them and quartered some and made large slices with some of them. I recommend just buying some fresh beets at a farmer's market, if you can, make the brine and use all of it, making sure to cover the beets completely. I added some slices of onion to the jar too.

I peeled them and put them in a pot of boiling water. Boiled them for a few minutes, reduced the heat and simmered them for about 30 minutes, until tender yet still had some texture.

Brine:

In a saucepan:
2 C white vinegar
2 C water
2 C sugar
1 tsp allspice, whole or ground ( I used ground)
1 tsp clove, whole or ground ( I used whole)
1 TBS ground cinnamon
Whisk well to incorporate the cinnamon

Boil until sugar has completely melted
Reduce heat and simmer 15 minutes
Remove and pour over beets and onions in jars ( I let the brine cool a bit before pouring it into the jars.

Refrigerate for 2 weeks

Enjoy!
Peace in the Kitchen!











No comments:

Post a Comment