Thursday, January 31, 2013

Super Bowl Nuts

I'm not really a football fan and that's OK, not everyone is.

However, I know there are fans that are "nuts" about football
and especially the Superbowl.
Any Superbowl Party I've attended has always had a bowl or two, or three of just plain nuts, these would have been nicer to snack on!

I know Texans love spiced nuts and I've done the homework for you and here are two of the best versions of spiced nuts that I could find.
I still believe that the recipe I published earlier for the Union Square Cafe's Bar Nuts are also some of the best I've ever had.

I have to give credit to Martha Stewart for these two recipes.

As I researched spiced nuts, these two recipes came up often and they all gave credit where credit was due......... thank you Martha!

Chile Lime Cashews:

2 1/2 tsp coarse salt...... like Sel de Mer, or Sea Salt..... use the regular stuff if you need to!
1 tsp finely grated lime zest ( a rasp works well)
2 TBS Dark Brown Sugar
1/2 tsp Red Pepper Flakes
1 large Egg ( white part only)
3 C Whole Raw unsalted Cashews

1 rimmed baking sheet pan lined with parchment paper.

preheat the oven to 350 degrees

In a bowl, using the back of a wooden spoon or a muddler ( I thought I'd use that word to sound like a fancy food blogger) but seriously, use a muddler and
grind the salt and the lime zest together.

Add Sugar, Pepper Flakes and Egg White.
Whisk together until frothy.
Add the nuts and toss to coat well.

Spread the nuts in a single layer on the sheet pan.
Bake 20 minutes

Separate the nuts, break them up and allow to cool completely.
You can move them to another paper lined sheet pan to do this, if you have another one.


Enjoy!
Peace in the Kitchen!




Orange Spiced Cashews:

3 C Whole Raw unsalted Raw Cashews
1/4 C Light Corn Syrup
1/2 tsp Coarse Salt
1 1/2 tsp finely grated Orange Zest.... use the rasp again!
3/4 tsp Ground Ginger
1/2 tsp Ground Coriander
1/2 tsp Ground Cumin
A pinch...... just a pinch of Cayenne Pepper

2 rimmed baking sheet pans lined with parchment paper

In a medium bowl, mix Nuts with Corn Syrup until evenly coated, set aside!
In another bowl, combine Salt, Zest, Ginger, Coriander, Cumin and Cayenne
Sprinkle this mixture over the nuts and stir until evenly coated.

Spread the nuts in a single layer onto one of the sheet pans.
Bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes.
Transfer the nuts to the second sheet pan, separate them and cool completely.

Enjoy!
Peace in the Kitchen!










No comments:

Post a Comment