Saturday, January 5, 2013

Cracker Bark! ( that's what I call it)

You talk about a recipe being around forever!

Where have I been ?
I just discovered this one and when I saw it on a cooking show, I thought it was the cook's original, old timey, been around for years, family recipe!

After doing my research, I found out that it has indeed been around for many, many, many, years and may have originally come from the Kraft Kitchens.
So many variations with so many names!
I chose to call mine Cracker Bark!

So I can't claim a single thing about this recipe as being my own.
There are so many variations that are tasty looking!

It's not appealing to look at, it's a bit messy, but the outcome is ..... well.... just make it and see for yourself how yummy it is!

If you haven't seen this  before then I don't feel so bad!

Cracker Bark

Pre-heat the oven to 425 degrees

30 - 40 Saltine Crackers ( you know, the ones your mother broke up and threw in your soup bowl)!
2 sticks of Butter...... Oh my!
1 C Brown Sugar
2 C Semi Sweet Chocolate Chips...... Oh just use Hershey's
Sea Salt.... the French in me!
2 C roughly chopped Pecans..... This may be where I make it my own!  the Texan in me!

Line 2 Jelly Roll Pans ( sheet cake pans with sides) with aluminum foil and coat with a vegetable cooking spray. You can bake both pans at once on two racks.

Arrange the Crackers salt side down in a single layer to cover the pans.

In a saucepan, melt the Butter and Brown Sugar and bring it to a boil, boil for 3 minutes. Stirring occasionally.

Remove from heat and pour evenly over the crackers.

Bake this delectable concoction for 5 minutes, it will begin to bubble and then you can remove it from the oven.
Sprinkle it with Sea Salt, however much you want! Make sure it's from the beaches of Normandy, or whatever you have in your pantry.

Pour the Chocolate Chips over the top and when they begin to melt, spread the Chocolate evenly with an offset knife.
Sprinkle the Pecans evenly over the Chocolate.

Transfer to the refrigerator or freezer for about 20 minutes.

Remove and break into pieces and store in air tight containers.

Don't eat any until your guests arrive, or your family, or if no one's coming over, just eat it yourself!


Enjoy!
Peace in the Kitchen!















No comments:

Post a Comment