Monday, August 10, 2015

Healthy Eating

I've been Vegetarian for over 30 years and I would say that I eat a very health conscious diet. Last week we returned from a 6 week visit to France and England. We stay with friends so we enjoyed some amazing meals. I was carrying a 25 pound backpack, a 35 pound rolling bag and a 20 pound duffle. We were on trains and planes and walked miles each day. Since we stay with friends, I was able to control what I ate and I was in great shape....... so I thought! We returned last week and 3 days later I had a heart attack. I'm about to start Cardio rehab which included a visit from a nutritionist, while I was still in the hospital.
After we talked a bit, she said she felt like she was preaching to the choir. I was doing everything right in terms of diet. My doctor said that this was a case of genetics that caused the attack.
My wife and I felt that a few changes could be made in the diet. I do eat dairy but I've switched to Skim Milk and I only eat Egg Whites now.
We ate a lot of fresh vegetable salads in Europe. They included strips of Zucchini, Summer Squash, Carrots and Beets that were made with a vegetable peeler.
Last night we had a salad with the fresh strips on top of a bed of mixed greens and topped it with Sunflower Seeds and Slivered Almonds. We had a homemade vinaigrette dressing.
We also had Tomato, Mozzarella and fresh Basil from our garden.
I said it was a meal without a recipe. Healthy doesn't mean tasteless and bland. And sometimes throwing together a meal without a recipe can be healthy and tasty.






Enjoy!
Peace in the Kitchen!



               

No comments:

Post a Comment