Saturday, August 29, 2015

Coconut Cream Pie Without a Crust , Apple Pie Without a Crust and Homemade Bisquick Recipe

I know that Pie Crust can be difficult for many bakers. My wife makes the best Pie Crust so we usually have Pies with a homemade Crust.
For those that aren't comfortable with making homemade Pie Crust you can still enjoy a homemade Pie that creates it's own crust. Here's a Coconut Cream Pie that creates it's own Crust. This is a very simple recipe. Mixed in 1 bowl and poured into the Pie Pan. It creates layers as it bakes.

Here's what you'll need:
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
1 - 9" Pie Pan, brushed well with softened Butter.

1/2 C Bisquick
3/4 C Granulated Sugar
4 Large Eggs
2 C Whole Milk
1 - 3.5oz. package of Flaked Coconut
1 tsp Vanilla
1 TBS Butter, softened.

In a large Mixing Bowl:
Bisquick
Sugar
Eggs
Milk
Coconut
Vanilla
Butter.
Mix well with a Blending Fork.
Pour batter into the Pie Pan.
Bake for 25 - 30 minutes.

Enjoy!
Peace in the Kitchen!


This is an adaptation of an Amish/Mennonite Recipe from one of my family's vintage recipe books.

Apple Pie Without a Crust

1/2C White Sugar
1/4 C Brown Sugar
1/2 C Flour
1 Egg, unbeaten
1 tsp Baking Powder
1/4 tsp Salt
1/2 tsp Vanilla Extract
1 C Chopped Apples ( core and peel the Apple) I used a Jonagold, it only took 1/2 of a large Apple)

The next time I made it I used a small apple and it was a cup!
1 C Chopped Pecans ( I used 1/2 C of Regular Pecans and 1/2 C of Cinnamon Frosted Pecans)

Combine, in a bowl:
Sugars ( White and Brown)
Flour
Egg

Combine, in a bowl
Baking Powder
Salt
Vanilla
Mix Well
Add to Dry Ingredients

Stir in :
Nuts
Apples

I use a blending fork, a wooden spoon would be just fine, to mix all of the ingredients together.
The dough will be very thick.

Press the dough, using your fingers, in a Pie Pan that's been prepared with my Pan Release Recipe ( search under Tips, Hints and More)
Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.

Serve with Whipped Cream , or Vanilla Ice Cream.

I made this and we took it to some friends for dinner last night. It is definitely a "Best of the Best" recipe. I will keep making this one!

Since I first posted this recipe, I've made it many times. It's our new favorite dessert. I've made it with apple and walnuts or you could use slivered almonds. I'll also make it with pear and walnuts. It's simple to make, only 30 minutes and most people have the ingredients in their pantry except for an apple or a pear.

Enjoy!
Peace in the Kitchen! ( The Kitchen smells amazing)


It's not just for Dinner anymore!
In the oven right now for Breakfast.


I decided to add this recipe as a separate post for friends that don't have access to the All American Iconic Bisquick Mix!


Homemade Bisquick Mix:

10 C flour
1/3 C baking powder
1/4 C sugar
4 tsp salt
2 C shortening ( Crisco) or any non refrigerated shortening

In a large bowl:
flour
baking powder
sugar
salt
Mix Well

Work the shortening into the mixture using a pastry blender or 2 forks until it forms a coarse crumble mixture.

Store in an airtight container for up to 6 months, unrefrigerated.

Enjoy!
Peace in the Kitchen!



No comments:

Post a Comment