Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Pouding au Chomeur / Poor Man's Pudding with a Maple Syrup Sauce

I visited Canada for the first time at age 17 when our family went to the World's Fair in Montreal.
I used to go camping in Canada when I was in high school, during the summer vacation. I've skied at Mont Saint Anne de Beaupre in Quebec and in Whistler, British Columbia.

 I grew up speaking French and until I went to Europe, Canada was my closest connection to the language. I've had the good fortune to have been able to travel to many countries and I always embrace their culture and their food. We used to eat Pouding au Chomeur and I had forgotten about it. I began researching various recipes for it and this is what I decided to post. I look forward to making it soon and posting photographs of the finished cake.
Here's a clip that I found with the French recipe for Pouding au Chomeur, and the version of the recipe that I like the best.

I've see the recipe for individual servings in Ramekins but I like this version in a 9"X 13" dish for a crowd.


Pouding au Chomeur was created by female factory workers during the Great Depression in Quebec, Canada. It means Unemployment or Poor Man's Pudding.
It's traditionally made during the winter months when Maple Syrup is collected and processed to make syrup. It's a cake batter onto which a hot maple syrup sauce is poured prior to baking.

1/2 C  (1 stick) butter, softened
1 C granulated sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
2 C flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 1/3 C whole milk
1 1/2 C pure maple syrup
1 1/2 C heavy cream
1/3 C butter (just over 5 TBS)

Cake:

In the bowl of a stand mixer with a paddle attachment:
Cream butter and granulated sugar until light and fluffy.
Add eggs and vanilla and incorporate well.

In another bowl:
whisk together flour and baking powder.

Alternately incorporate the flour mixture and the whole milk into the butter/sugar mixture and mix well.

Pour into a prepared  9"X13" pan. (I brush mine with my Pan Release Mixture:( equal parts of Crisco, Vegetable Oil and Flour) I start with 1 C of each mixed well and refrigerated in a jar. I always have it available for all of my baking needs. I use a pastry brush and coat it well.

In a saucepan:
maple Syrup
brown sugar
heavy cream
butter
Bring to a boil, constantly stirring.
Reduce heat to low and simmer for 2 minutes until the sauce reduces a little.

Pour the sauce evenly over the cake batter.
Bake at 350 degrees for 30 - 40 minutes.

Enjoy!
Peace in the Kitchen!


No comments:

Post a Comment