Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Corn and Cheese Chowder from The Pioneer Woman / Ree Drummond

I loved this soup when I saw Ree Drummond prepare it on The Pioneer Woman.
I've adapted it to make it vegetarian.


4 TBS (1/2 stick) butter
1 whole onion, chopped
3 whole bell peppers, finely diced (Red, Yellow, Orange)
5 ears of corn, kernels cut off.  (each ear is about 3/4 C so 3 3/4 C of corn on 5 ears). I used more, 32 oz. or 2 pounds.
1/4 C flour ( I used 3/4 C or more)
3 C vegetarian chicken broth (I use Better Than Bouillon, No Chicken)
2 C half and half
1 heaping cup of grated Monterey Jack or Swiss Cheese ( I used 2 C)
1 heaping cup of grated Pepper Jack Cheese  (I used 3/4 C)
1/3 C sliced green onions (I used about 6 green onions)
1 - 14 oz. can of diced green chiles (I added these because we live in Texas and everything tastes better with chiles)
Bacon Bits

 In  a large soup pot over medium high heat, saute the onion, in butter for a couple of minutes until translucent.
Add bell peppers and continue to cook for 2 minutes.
Add corn and cook for another minute.

Sprinkle flour evenly over the vegetables and stir well.
Add broth and stir until it begins to thicken , about 3 - 4 minutes.
Stir in half and half , cover and simmer for 15 minutes.

Add both cheeses, green onions and diced green chiles, continue stirring until cheese melts.
When the cheese is melted, salt and pepper to taste.

Serve in individual soup bowls and top with vegetarian bacon bits.












Enjoy!
Peace in the Kitchen!







No comments:

Post a Comment