Saturday, February 22, 2014

Apple Crepe Pancake from Comfy Cuisine


I wish I had the authority to post the picture of this recipe. It's what sold me on the recipe. The only thing I would suggest to alter the recipe would be to double it and make it in a 10" Cast Iron Skillet. I believe it's a more common sized skillet and I would certainly make this for a family breakfast or if I were hosting a Brunch. Other than that it looks and sounds perfect. I simply re posted their recipe here.
This recipe reminds me of Dutch Babies that I used to make in the 70's. I reposted the recipe at the end of this one that includes my photographs.


1/4 C  (1/2 stick) unsalted butter
1/4 C milk
1 apple (I used Granny Smith)
2 TBS sugar
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 large egg
1/4 C all-purpose flour
Pinch of salt

Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.  Melt butter in a 5-inch cast iron skillet over low heat.  While the butter melts, pour the milk into a 2-cup measuring cup.  Peel, core and thinly slice the apple.  In a small bowl, toss the apple slices with sugar and cinnamon until well coated.

Pour half of the melted butter into the milk and whisk well.  Add the apple and any loose sugar from the bowl, into the skillet.  Cook the apple slices over medium-low heat, turning them a few times, until softened; the sugar and butter will get nicely browned and bubbly.

Remove the skillet from the heat.  Add the egg to the milk mixture and whisk to combine.  Add the flour and salt and whisk until smooth.  Pour the batter over the apples in the skillet.

Bake until the pancake puffs up and gets lightly golden on top, about 10 minutes.  Enjoy straight from the skillet or invert onto a serving plate.



I love any recipe using Cast Iron cookware. Here's a great example:

I just received a version of this recipe from Bisquick. I've made a few changes and adapted it.
I have other recipes for Dutch Babies with Ham and Miniature Dutch Babies in a Muffin Tin that can be found on the blog. I always loved serving Dutch Babies for a family Holiday Breakfast, or a Brunch with friends. I've had the Dutch Babies with Ham recipe since 1979. Since I've been a Vegetarian for 20 years, I had put that recipe in the back of my files. I resurrected it for my non Vegetarian friends.

I've posted a home made recipe for Bisquick because I have many followers around the world that may not have access to the product. You can make a recipe for it and keep it in the refrigerator up to 4 months. You would use it in any recipe asking for Bisquick.


3 TBS butter
4 Apples, peel, core and slice thin. (I use Jonagold, you can also use GrannySmith or Rome) There are many other varieties of Apples that are great for baking.
1/4 C Brown Sugar
2 TBS Cinnamon
1 1/2 C Bisquick Mix
1/4 C Granulated Sugar
1 C Buttermilk
1 TBS Lemon Juice
1 tsp Almond Extract
2 Eggs
1 TBS Cinnamon/Sugar mixture
Warm Maple Syrup

Heat the oven to 450 degrees.

Place the butter in the oven  in a 10" Cast Iron Skillet and melt it, about 2 minutes.
Add:
Apples
Brown Sugar
Cinnamon
Toss to coat well.

Bake for 2 minutes
Stir and bake an additional 2 minutes.
Stir again and bake an additional 3 minutes.
Stir for the last time.

Reduce heat to 400 degrees.

In a large bowl, whisk together:
Bisquick
Granulated Sugar
Buttermilk
Lemon Juice
Almond Extract
Eggs
Whisk Well

Pour Batter evenly over the Apples.
Bake at 400 degrees for 25 - 30 minutes.
Sprinkle with Cinnamon/Sugar

Serve with Warm Maple Syrup.


Enjoy!
Peace in the Kitchen


Homemade Bisquick Mix: (use this mixture whenever a recipe calls for Bisquick)

6 C flour
3 TBS Baking Powder
1 TBS salt
1 C Vegetable Shortening

In a large bowl, sift together:
Flour
Baking Powder
Salt
Sift this mixture 3 times ( don't skip this process)
Cut in Shortening with a Pastry Blender or 2 Forks until the mixture is crumbly!
Store this in an airtight container for up to 4 months in the refrigerator.


Enjoy!
Peace in the Kitchen!












Enjoy!
Peace in the Kitchen!


No comments:

Post a Comment