Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Hobo Bread from my mother in law's collection

This is another  Mennonite Family recipe from my mother in law's personal collection.
I've adapted it a bit. This recipe is old and some of the ingredient descriptions or directions needed to be updated. I did not change the integrity of the original recipe.

2 C raisins or dates
2 C boiling water
3 tsp baking soda
2 C sugar
4 TBS vegetable oil
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 C chopped pecans or walnuts
4 C flour

Chop raisins or dates.
In a medium bowl, combine raisins or dates with baking soda and boiling water.
Set aside overnight.

In the morning add all remaining ingredients and blend well.
Divide dough in half

Spray 2 Loaf Pans with a baking spray. ( the directions say to line the pans with waxed paper, I use my Pan Release Mix, equal parts of vegetable shortening, flour and vegetable oil, mixed well and coat the pans with a pastry brush.

Place the dough in the pans.

Bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes.

Enjoy!
Peace in the Kitchen!

No comments:

Post a Comment