Thursday, January 9, 2014

Persian KooKoo Sabzi and Indian Eggplant

We have eaten some incredible Indian Cuisine in England. I tried to get a few recipes from one of our favorite restaurants , but they were not willing to give them out. I understand that and am perfectly OK with it. So I've been talking to friends and researching Indian Cuisine Recipes. I have a new book and will post some of those recipes. I had almost given up on my search until I spoke to a friend at our bank, she's from Persia. She and I were talking about the blog and my passion for foods from around the world and the fact that I'm vegetarian and she shared two recipes with me. I always give credit to my contributors, so I'd like to take this time to say thank you to Fay. I love these two recipes that you shared with me.

The first one is called KooKoo Sabzi. I just had one of my Eggplant recipes published in the Dallas Morning News and I was talking with Fay about the article on Eggplant.
Here are the two Eggplant Recipes that she gave me.

KooKoo Sabzi:

A vegetable souffle with herbs and egg.

Some fresh chopped parsley
Some fresh chopped cilantro
There are no quantities listed for parsley and cilantro, just what you prefer.
1 - 2 TBS fresh dill, chopped
2 boxes of frozen spinach, thawed
6 green onions, chopped
4 cloves of garlic, minced
1 tsp turmeric
salt and pepper to taste
1/8 tsp baking powder
4 eggs
olive oil

In a bowl:
some parsley
some cilantro
dill
spinach
onion
garlic
turmeric
salt and pepper
baking powder
eggs
Mix Well

In a skillet, heat a good amount of oil on high heat, about an inch.
Add the mixture and flatten it into the pan.
Lower the heat to medium and cover it.
Fry the souffle for about 15 minutes.
Cut it into wedges and flip them over in the pan.
Cover again and fry another 15 minutes until the second side is golden brown.
Serve warm with Pita bread.



Indian Eggplant / Bhurtha

This is a traditional North Indian dish made with eggplant, tomato and seasoning.

1 eggplant
olive oil
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
1 onion, chopped
1 large tomato, peel, seed, dice
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 tsp ground coriander
1/2 tsp turmeric
1/2 tsp ground coriander
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1/4 tsp salt
1/8 tsp black pepper

Broil the Eggplant:
Rub the entire eggplant with olive oil
Place whole on a baking sheet pan, turning often until the skin begins to blister., about 30 minutes.

Cut the eggplant in half lengthwise, scoop out the flesh and chop.
In a large skillet, heat additional oil and roast the Cumin Seeds until they begin to crackle but not burn.
THis will only take a few seconds.

Add onion and garlic to the skillet and cook until tender.
Add:
tomato
turmeric
ground cumin
ground coriander
cayenne pepper
salt
pepper

Cook a few minutes
Add the Eggplant and continue cooking for 12 - 15 minutes.

Enjoy!
Peace in the Kitchen!










No comments:

Post a Comment