Monday, January 13, 2014

Pizza Dough / Ree Drummond / The Pioneer Woman

Another favorite from Ree Drummond.
I happen to like a very thin crispy pizza crust. Pizza crust is personal. It's the reason that this recipe is appealing to me. I would consider making this on our grill too.
I spent some time in Italy in the 70's. My first experience having Italian Pizza was in Naples. I bought it from a street side window. A very large slice was served wrapped in a piece of butcher paper. The paper was used to soak up the excess grease. A lot of grease, amazing tasting grease. The pizza was the best I had ever had. I have now changed my taste in pizza. It could be a health issue.....! I certainly don't need that grease. Most of it came from the Pepperoni. At that time I was not Vegetarian so that pizza is out of the question for me today. But I embrace this recipe from The Pioneer Woman. It has a thin crispy crust and I can control the amount of oil!

Dough:
1 tsp active dry yeast
4 C flour
1 tsp salt
1/3 C Olive Oil

In a bowl:
Sprinkle over 1 1/2 C warm water (not lukewarm, but warm)

Stand Mixer with paddle attachment:
flour
salt
With the mixer on slow speed, drizzle in the oil and combine well.
Add yeast and mix until combines

Coat a mixing bowl with additional oil and add the dough.
Form a ball and toss to coat well.
Cover tightly with plastic wrap refrigerate and allow to rise for 1 hour.

Preheat oven to 400 degrees
Divide dough into two equal parts.
If baking one at a time, refrigerate the other ball until ready to use.

Roll out thin on a cutting board
Transfer to a baking sheet pan and spread out.
Top with marinara sauce (recipe to follow) and favorite toppings
Bake for 12 - 15 minutes.

Marinara Sauce:
2 TBS olive oil
3 cloves of garlic, minced
1 medium onion, finely chopped
1/2 C vegetarian chicken broth
1 - 15oz. cans crushed tomatoes
salt and pepper
a pinch of sugar
1 tsp dried oregano
8 - 10 fresh basil leaves, chopped

In a saute pan over medium heat
Heat the oil.
Add :
garlic
onion
Cook 4 - 5 minutes

Add:
broth and whisk well.
Continue to cook until the liquid reduces by 1/2.

Add:
Tomatoes
Salt
Pepper
Stir well

Add:
Sugar
Oregano
Basil
Stir well
Reduce heat to low and simmer 30 minutes.

For a Four Cheese Pizza:
2 TBS olive oil
salt and pepper
1 - (3.5oz) jar of Pesto
12 oz. fresh mozzarella, sliced thin
4 oz. fontina cheese, grates
4 oz. goat cheese, crumbled
1/4 C pecorino romano

Drizzle dough with oil
sprinkle with salt and pepper
pour on pesto , spread evenly
Add all of the cheeses
Bake at 400 degrees for 12 - 15 minutes.



Enjoy!
Peace in the Kitchen!

No comments:

Post a Comment