Sunday, November 17, 2013

Re-molding Canned Jellied Cranberry Sauce !

We were in London last year during the Christmas season. I bought a glass mold for jellied desserts at Liberty of London. By the way, it's a block from Carnaby Street, the famous hang out of Hippies and Rock Stars during the Sixties.
I wanted to make a Cranberry Mold for Thanksgiving and didn't really want to make it from scratch or have anything fancy, just plain Jellied Cranberry in a beautiful mold for presentation. There's something unattractive about serving a can of cranberry sauce that has the ridges from the tin can that you use as a guide to slice! Well it doesn't have to be that rough, but you get the idea.
I also have a beautiful white ceramic mold from Williams Sonoma and this would work well in that mold too. Last year I made the recipe from Williams Sonoma that came with the mold.
I'll add this bit of Hippy in the Kitchen while I'm talking about London.
When I was 20 and 21 I was hanging out in Europe and I didn't appreciate the "finer" things in life. I was too consumed with backpacking, studying, traveling and the music scene.
It was my first time to see London and I was buying a Maxi Coat and listening to folk singers on the street corners and in the Youth Hostels.
Later in life I acquired a taste for some of the "finer" things that money can buy.
I bought a  Wedgwood Tea Pot for my wife as a Birthday gift and was fortunate enough to have it signed by The Lord Wedgwood of Barlaston.
As much as I enjoyed re- living my Hippy days when we visited Carnaby Street last December, I now appreciate the Mold and the Tea Pot that came from London too!

my ceramic mold, the glass mold and the double boiler.


the White Wedgwood Tea Pot.


The bottom of the Tea Pot autographed by Lord Wedgwood,
and the card for my wife's birthday.

Here's how to re-mold the canned jellied cranberry sauce.

1. remove the sauce from the can.
2. put it in a double boiler over simmering water.
3. break it up with a spoon and mix gently, stirring constantly until it's uniformly smooth.
4. lightly spray a mold with a vegetable cooking spray.
5. pour the heated sauce into the mold and refrigerate until firm

Un mold onto a serving platter. ( you can simply dip the bottom of the mold into a pan of warm to water to help release it. You can also soak a tea towel in hot water, wring it out and place it over the inverted mold that's been placed on a serving platter. Jiggle the mold after the hot towel has been on it for a minute. Release the salad onto the platter. Repeat if necessary.

Enjoy!
Peace in the Kitchen!







No comments:

Post a Comment